reloading dies for bergers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by retiredcpo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

With the longer lenght of the bergers is there a prefered brand of dies for loading them so you wont have a issuse with the die pushing on the point instead of the bullet.
    retiredcpo

2. fj40mojo

fj40mojo Well-Known Member

I have notice this is a problem with several of the long secant ogive bullet designs, not just Bergers and to make matters worse it is excentuated when you are compressing loads. You may have to buy a special seater stem if one is available (Hornady A-max comes to mind) or have one made/modified by a machinist. In order to seat 7mm 160grn A-maxs I drilled a relief hole to clear the polymer tip then used bedding compound to form a perfect match to the ogive, worked but not ideal. Good luck.

3. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

You are talking about hollow points only. If there is evidence of bumping on the meplat (tip) of the bullet, then this is a problem. I know that Wilson will modify their seating cup for free. Redding and RCBS may do likewise. Check with them.

4. nheninge

nheninge Well-Known Member

I modify the seater stem myself by drilling a slightly smaller hole inside the stem to allow just enough clearance for the bergers without deforming the tip. Easy fix and it doesnt change what comes into contact with the bullet so everything stays true.

5. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I use the redding competition seating dies for loading vld's in 2 calibers and have had no problems at all.