Votes: 396 19.3%
  • Lee

Votes: 477 23.3%
  • RCBS

Votes: 1,107 54.0%
  • Redding

Votes: 873 42.6%

• Total voters
I used RCBS since the mid 1970's with good results and did not try other manufactures dies until around 2000. I then bought several sets of Hornady and really like them. I thought I could do better with Redding regular dies since I read so many good things. I bought multiple sets but do not like how they size the cases smaller than others and did not provide any advantage over the regular dies by RCBS, Hornady or Lee. They just cost slightly more.

However I bought sets of RCBS 22-250 and 270 WBY dies about three years ago and have been disappointed in the case neck runout after sizing and bullet runout after seating. The 270 WBY dies would take a case with almost no runout and totally ruin it. This was the worst set I have ever had.

After years of looking at the Forester dies I final ordered a set of Forester dies for the 270 WBY, WOW! I was imediately impressed with the smoothness and quality. The 270 WBY is a custom barrel by Holland and when I was done sizing the cases the neck runout is almost zero and seated runout is well under 0.002.

As funds allow I am slowly replacing all of my main hunting rifle dies sets with Forester. They all seem to work great but after using about 5 different Forester dies sets now I truly would recommend them over all the other off the shelf brands. I am just to cheap to try the Redding Comp because they Forester is so outstanding.

I have dies made to my specific caliber most if the time. Newlon Precision, Forster and L.E.Wilson. I send in 2 thrice fired cases, a Cero-Safe chamber cast and a finish reamer made for the caliber.

I use Wilson in-line chamber seating dies for each caliber as the run out is 1-thou or zero. It takes a little longer with the chamber die but then I'm not loading more than 25 rounds or so at a time. The one thing I don't do though is FL size after each firing contrary to most. I have found that my most accurate shots are when the brass has been fired 2 to four times where the body and the shoulders are fitting cozy in the chamber without tight bolt lift. Upon extraction if I notice tight lift, I bump the shoulder back 2 thousandths with my bushing-bump die measuring the brass with appropriate tools for checking head to shoulder and COL is not too much.

I use neck bushings 2 thousandths under my loaded neck diameter for a snug fit and I don't turn the necks. Standard off the shelf FL dies work the brass too much and size the necks down too much back to SAAMI spec. Once my brass has reached the point where it has expanded overall more than bumping the shoulder keeps it working only then will I FL size with a FL or a body die. I then measure COL, trim it back to spec, and inside & outside chamfer with a VLD tool. (VLD bullets)

My methods have given me easily in excess of ten firings, I don't anneal the brass like some do either. I do watch for signs of brass degradation, I do not load to max PSI either, when I get loose primer pockets I discard. I use a Forster Coaxial press.

I shoot .222, 22-250, 6 PPC, .270 Win, .308, .300 WM, 7mm Dakota

Hy to all, I live in Europe. My preferred dies set are RCBS because to their high quality and simple way of use. Materials are fine and machined very well. Redding competition are really good too, but a little expensive for non competitve use. I tried Hornady once and I found them not expensive for the quality level but they need a tuning to set up their use. For example the bullet positioning of 9,3x74R may go out of seat during stocking and damage the soft point if you don't care to position it before to star operations. A small coil could prevent it lightbulb. I did it after the first damages...:rolleyes:
Roberto

I used RCBS since the mid 1970's with good results and did not try other manufactures dies until around 2000. I then bought several sets of Hornady and really like them. I thought I could do better with Redding regular dies since I read so many good things. I bought multiple sets but do not like how they size the cases smaller than others and did not provide any advantage over the regular dies by RCBS, Hornady or Lee. They just cost slightly more.

However I bought sets of RCBS 22-250 and 270 WBY dies about three years ago and have been disappointed in the case neck runout after sizing and bullet runout after seating. The 270 WBY dies would take a case with almost no runout and totally ruin it. This was the worst set I have ever had.

After years of looking at the Forester dies I final ordered a set of Forester dies for the 270 WBY, WOW! I was imediately impressed with the smoothness and quality. The 270 WBY is a custom barrel by Holland and when I was done sizing the cases the neck runout is almost zero and seated runout is well under 0.002.

As funds allow I am slowly replacing all of my main hunting rifle dies sets with Forester. They all seem to work great but after using about 5 different Forester dies sets now I truly would recommend them over all the other off the shelf brands. I am just to cheap to try the Redding Comp because they Forester is so outstanding.

my first 270 mag die set was a Hornaday New Deminsion, and it sucked on a good day. Later I bought an RCBS, and it was worse. Then I was at a gun show, and there was a new Forster set on a table. I bought them for about $40, and it was a dream come true. Later on I bought the Innovative Tech sizer to use along with the Forster full length die.
gary

nice Mark to know that some dies work smoother than RCBS or Redding. I thonk it is the ideal situation overyone makes charging is looking for.
Unfortunately Forester is not available in Italy. Do youthink they may be bought in USA and delivered to EU without so many fees on the price?
I use .223R - 270W - .308W - 8x68S - 9,3x74R. Are they available in Forester range?
Many thanks. Roberto

nice Mark to know that some dies work smoother than RCBS or Redding. I thonk it is the ideal situation overyone makes charging is looking for.
Unfortunately Forester is not available in Italy. Do youthink they may be bought in USA and delivered to EU without so many fees on the price?
I use .223R - 270W - .308W - 8x68S - 9,3x74R. Are they available in Forester range?
Many thanks. Roberto

I'm pretty sure that Forster does not do the 8x68s die, but they might do the 9.3x74R. The .223 and the .308 are standard catalog die sets. They also do a .308 national match die set. The .223 remington dies are excellent, and I own two sets (I think), but probably own a half dozen sets of .223 dies from one brand name or another. Redding dies are pretty good as well, and they have a much larger catalog. I still think the Forster seater is better. I honestly don't see much difference in the full length dies other than one brand being over priced.

You might also want to look at the Lee Collet dies. I'd don't like their seaters at all, but with a standard chamber and neck they are supposed to be pretty good. I tried them in .223 and 22-250, and they just wouldn't work for me. But te two chambers I was reloading for were intentionally cut to minimum specs with a tight neck. I think they'd work OK with a standard no turn neck. These used with the Forster seater should put you way ahead in the game

Have you tried contacting Forster direct (email). They will probably ship overseas as I know a couple guys in Holland that use Forster presses and dies
gary

Gary really very nice your contribution.
Lee dies are good for many realoding set, but I had the .270W and several time the case remaind stuck in the die during sizing with long work to restore the die at work. I would suggest Lee for starting the reloading practise and for small calibers. Also the Lee press, the standard one, was completely damaged during 9,3x74R resizing stress.
I will look for forester dies kit in EU, just to see and try what you suggested.
Many thanks.
Roberto

Gary really very nice your contribution.
Lee dies are good for many realoding set, but I had the .270W and several time the case remaind stuck in the die during sizing with long work to restore the die at work. I would suggest Lee for starting the reloading practise and for small calibers. Also the Lee press, the standard one, was completely damaged during 9,3x74R resizing stress.
I will look for forester dies kit in EU, just to see and try what you suggested.
Many thanks.
Roberto

what are you using for case lube? I like Imperial Die Sizing Wax best. I neck size with powdered graphite, and get great looking necks. The Lee Cast iron press is not too bad. My brother inlaw uses one and sizes 30-06 brass all the time with his. He tried my Co-Ax last fall and now wants one
gary

Hi Gary,
I use normally the RCBS case lube, as recomended in reloding manuals. In RCBS, Redding or Hornady dies sometime I forget to lube the cases and I feel, after several resized cases that the lever becomes a little less smooth. I lubricate the following cases and all returns at the best. With the Lee Press, instead, even when well lubricated, many times cases were so hard to resize that I was afraid to stuck the case in the die! Not to talk of big cartridges as 8x68S or 9,3x74R....
Today, I contacted the Forster importer and in Turin there are 3 different opportunities to see and buy some kits.
I will try soon and I will evaluate the differences.
Roberto

Hi Gary,
I use normally the RCBS case lube, as recomended in reloding manuals. In RCBS, Redding or Hornady dies sometime I forget to lube the cases and I feel, after several resized cases that the lever becomes a little less smooth. I lubricate the following cases and all returns at the best. With the Lee Press, instead, even when well lubricated, many times cases were so hard to resize that I was afraid to stuck the case in the die! Not to talk of big cartridges as 8x68S or 9,3x74R....
Today, I contacted the Forster importer and in Turin there are 3 different opportunities to see and buy some kits.
I will try soon and I will evaluate the differences.
Roberto

try the Imperial die wax.
gary

Hi to all,
I will look for Imperial wax or lube as you suggested. Here in Italy it seems that Imperial is distributed by Redding, actually.
Many thanks for suggestions. You are a source of news for me!!!:)
Roberto

Gary, have you had ever the need to unload the bullet from a realoded cartridge? I use, when it needs, a kinetic hammer. Is it the best way to disassemble a cartridge or are there any other device that allow you to do the operation without damaging the bullet and the case?
Toberto

Gary, have you had ever the need to unload the bullet from a realoded cartridge? I use, when it needs, a kinetic hammer. Is it the best way to disassemble a cartridge or are there any other device that allow you to do the operation without damaging the bullet and the case?
Toberto

somewhere I still have the hammer, and actually a home built one for a certain wildcat that wouldn't work with the plastic one. But now days I use a Forster bullet puller. But if I were to buy another, I think it'd be the one from Hornaday I like the lever lockup better than the Forster setup, but both work well.

I did build a home made bullet puller once. Found an old Ericson drill extension in the trash, and the more I looked at the more I felt I could build a better one. Worked very well (better than the Forster), and never found a bullet it wouldn't grab.
gary

Gary.. I have a Hornady for those rare instances. I have the hammer style too, I use the hammer style when I'm frustrated about something and I need to vent.....:D