Reloading deck height

badthirtyone

Backstory:

I am fortunate enough to have multiple reloading presses to feed the many guns that I and my family shoot. I have been reloading for around 25 years for pretty much anything that goes bang.

The specific presses that I own have all been purchased out of a particular personal need to correctly and appropriately load for the different firearms and accuracy vs. quantity issues presented by each type of shooting that I do. For this reason, I have progressive presses for handgun and what I would consider to be "general bulk" such as AR loads and 300 Blackout. I also have an ever-growing collection of single-stage presses for "precision" work, such as all of my distance rifles.

Years ago, I spent some time in my shop and created a "modular system" for my benchtop that allows me to pretty quickly swap out my presses to match the job at hand. I spent the time, effort, and money to go "all-in" on my own modular design - only to have wonderful companies such as Inline Fabrication come out with better designs and modularity shortly after I had completely modified my own bench. Never seems to fail that I seem to invest the time in filling a need on my own, only to have had a far superior bench had I known that Inline Fab would come on the market with their game changing products. - Such is life.

Anyway, on to the ponderance I have this morning.

With my multiple presses, I have found that I fatigue more when using some versus others. I am quite convinced that this has to do with my deck height and the subsequent travel of the press arms. While any of these presses is functional at my original chosen height, the difference in presses become obvious over lengthy reloading sessions.

So, I have a couple of questions for all of the reloaders out there. None of these are meant to be anything more than informational, so please don't think that I am asking for odd or personal information here. (I only added that, as I have seen questions like this taken out of context and people get weird in their responses)

#1 - Your physical height (mostly only important as it removes that variable from the rest of the info)
#2 - Your deck height (upper most surface of the bench, where your press actually sits during operation)
#3 - The press most operated at this height (brand and model would be helpful for comparison)
#4 - Do you vary the heights of different presses (if you use more than one), and do you use a modular system to do so
#5 - Do you stand or sit on a chair or stool while reloading

Feel free to answer any way that you would like. I wasn't trying to make this overly complicated or formal, just trying to get a feel if others are having a different experience than I am.

I also fully understand that I will likely get a "do what's comfortable for you" or "only you can decide what works for you" type of response. I get it. I am just trying to determine if the vast experience and resources on this forum have something to add that may dramatically change my regimen in a positive way.

Thanks in advance, and I genuinely appreciate any thoughts or comments on this.

1. 5'-9"
2. 29-1/2"
3. Two Dillon 550's one for handguns & one for rifles. The one for rifles is operated single stage when I want accuracy load
4. Not applicable for my setup
5. Sitting on a 23" high stool. FWIW: I am only good for about 1 hour before I take a break to avoid making mistakes due to mind wandering.

Have added pictures of the setup. The desk is 8ft steel that was given to me and has moved across the USA two times DSC03617.JPGDSC03618.JPGDSC03619.JPGDSC03620.JPG

Backstory:

I am fortunate enough to have multiple reloading presses to feed the many guns that I and my family shoot. I have been reloading for around 25 years for pretty much anything that goes bang.

The specific presses that I own have all been purchased out of a particular personal need to correctly and appropriately load for the different firearms and accuracy vs. quantity issues presented by each type of shooting that I do. For this reason, I have progressive presses for handgun and what I would consider to be "general bulk" such as AR loads and 300 Blackout. I also have an ever-growing collection of single-stage presses for "precision" work, such as all of my distance rifles.

Years ago, I spent some time in my shop and created a "modular system" for my benchtop that allows me to pretty quickly swap out my presses to match the job at hand. I spent the time, effort, and money to go "all-in" on my own modular design - only to have wonderful companies such as Inline Fabrication come out with better designs and modularity shortly after I had completely modified my own bench. Never seems to fail that I seem to invest the time in filling a need on my own, only to have had a far superior bench had I known that Inline Fab would come on the market with their game changing products. - Such is life.

With my multiple presses, I have found that I fatigue more when using some versus others. I am quite convinced that this has to do with my deck height and the subsequent travel of the press arms. While any of these presses is functional at my original chosen height, the difference in presses become obvious over lengthy reloading sessions.

So, I have a couple of questions for all of the reloaders out there. None of these are meant to be anything more than informational, so please don't think that I am asking for odd or personal information here. (I only added that, as I have seen questions like this taken out of context and people get weird in their responses)

#1 - Your physical height (mostly only important as it removes that variable from the rest of the info)
#2 - Your deck height (upper most surface of the bench, where your press actually sits during operation)
#3 - The press most operated at this height (brand and model would be helpful for comparison)
#4 - Do you vary the heights of different presses (if you use more than one), and do you use a modular system to do so

Feel free to answer any way that you would like. I wasn't trying to make this overly complicated or formal, just trying to get a feel if others are having a different experience than I am.

I also fully understand that I will likely get a "do what's comfortable for you" or "only you can decide what works for you" type of response. I get it. I am just trying to determine if the vast experience and resources on this forum have something to add that may dramatically change my regimen in a positive way.

tagged for when i get home to a computer.

1. 5'-9"
2. 29-1/2"
3. Two Dillon 550's one for handguns & one for rifles. The one for rifles is operated single stage when I want accuracy load
4. Not applicable for my setup
5. Sitting on a 23" high stool. FWIW: I am only good for about 1 hour before I take a break to avoid making mistakes due to mind wandering.

Have added pictures of the setup. The desk is 8ft steel that was given to me and has moved across the USA two timesView attachment 259984View attachment 259985View attachment 259986View attachment 259987
Outstanding response. This is precisely the kind of info that I was looking for.

Thanks

So, just fishing for a bit of information here.

One of my main questions is what height are folks running their Forster Coax's at? Trying to figure out if this press is best mounted high, or at what many would consider a standard deck height.

I run my Dillon 550's at 38," my 650 at 39," and now running most single stages (predominantly a Redding Big Boss 2) at 46."

Just built a new bench that the top sits at 38ish and my rockchucker on an inline fabrication mount sits at 50 to the shell holder Perfect height for me to stand or sit on a tall stool. A Dillon 550 will be going next to it on a strong mount as well. Just shy of 5'9"

Last edited:
I am 5' 11", weigh around 180, I think that's correct (85kg). I am 50yrs old.
My bench is for sitting at while sizing and seating, I have 2 presses set up, a RockChucker Supreme and a RCBS Turret, but my scales, powder thrower and trimmer are all set up for standing. I use a computer desk chair.
I have issues with throw on a press.
I used to have an Ammomaster, the length of throw for me was just too darn long.
My Redding Big Boss II is also too long in throw, I rarely use it these days.
I have had shoulder issues for many years with torn rotator cuffs in both. I also have tumours all through my hands which are very painful. (There's a thread here all about it)
Feel free to ask further questions.

Cheers.

Just built a new bench that the top sits at 38ish and my rockchucker on an inline fabrication mount sits at 50 to the shell holder Perfect height for me to stand or sit on a tall stool. A Dillon 550 will be going next to it on a strong mount as well. Just shy of 5'9"
sierracharlie338,

With the height that you are talking about, are you using one of the Inline Fab "micro" units that lifts a total of 4-ish inches? I have been looking hard at that, as my benches are at about the 38" mark as well, and I think the micro will lift my Redding Big Boss 2 to about the perfect level.

I am 5' 11", weigh around 180, I think that's correct (85kg). I am 50yrs old.
My bench is for sitting at while sizing and seating, I have 2 presses set up, a RockChucker Supreme and a RCBS Turret, but my scales, powder thrower and trimmer are all set up for standing. I use a computer desk chair.
I have issues with throw on a press.
I used to have an Ammomaster, the length of throw for me was just too darn long.
My Redding Big Boss II is also too long in throw, I rarely use it these days.
I have had shoulder issues for many years with torn rotator cuffs in both. I also have tumours all through my hands which are very painful. (There's a thread here all about it)
Feel free to ask further questions.

Cheers.
I was looking for a big boss 2 when I stumbled stumbled across a T7 turret press. It's everything I was looking for. Can handle several cartridges on one turret and keep them setup. I was worried about the big boss having too long of throw.

As for OPs question, I'll check my bench height tonight

sierracharlie338,

With the height that you are talking about, are you using one of the Inline Fab "micro" units that lifts a total of 4-ish inches? I have been looking hard at that, as my benches are at about the 38" mark as well, and I think the micro will lift my Redding Big Boss 2 to about the perfect level.
Nope it's the regular size mount.
ACA39C0E-1138-4E77-A48F-BBD369275981.jpeg

Backstory:

1- 6' 1"
2- 36" inches to the top of my bench
3- Lee progessive (has it's own inline fab stand), Dillon square B ( has it's own nline fab stand), and a lyman single for now, this one sits on top of a homemade stand I built when I first built my table
4- All pretty much same height
5- I built a 28"tall bench that allows me to sit when I am throwing powder, chopping brass, and trimming. But when I am resizing, crimping, bullet seating and/or powder throwing, I am standing

Here soon, I am going to gonna build me a 3'x6-7' table, as I got more presses to mount lol

EDIT for the actual measurements

Last edited:
1- 6' 1"
2- 48 inches to the top of my bench
3- Lee progessive (has it's own inline fab stand), Dillon square B ( has it's own nline fab stand), and a lyman single for now, this one sits on top of a homemade stand I built when I first built my table
4- All pretty much same height
5- I built a 36" tall bench that allows me to sit when I am throwing powder, chopping brass, and trimming. But when I am resizing, crimping, bullet seating and/or powder throwing, I am standing

Here soon, I am going to gonna build me a 3'x6-7' table, as I got more presses to mount lol
Thank you for this info.

Question for you, you mention that your existing bench has a height of 48". I love high bench-tops myself. I would guess that you built that at a custom height for reloading?

I was looking for a big boss 2 when I stumbled stumbled across a T7 turret press. It's everything I was looking for. Can handle several cartridges on one turret and keep them setup. I was worried about the big boss having too long of throw.

As for OPs question, I'll check my bench height tonight
By the way, not trying to talk you into (or out of) any particular press but I will say that I don't think the Big Boss 2 has too long of a throw. When mounted at the proper height, it gives you a ton of leverage and is very comfortable in its range of motion. This is probably the press I spend the majority of my time behind. We'll see if that changes, but probably my current favorite single stage press.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts