Reloading Bench Height

jweigel

If you had a choice for height of a reloading bench, would you go with the standard table height (28 -30") or would you go with a kitchen counter height (34 - 36").

I have a work space that I want to convert to a reloading area. This will be for only rifle reloading.

I have seen both.

The few I have been around have been in garages and of taller height with no chairs or stools.

I would like to sit and work but can get a taller stool if that is the consensus.

I am over 50 if that matters.

jjw
ND

I have several benches of various heights but finally settled on the middle bench (measures 34" high) for loading and the taller bench (36") for gun work. Sometimes it's hard to decide on stool height so I have 2. They are cheap and one has cut down legs. It just depends on what I'm doing. Working with a press, it's advantageous to be sitting so you can extend the press arm fully down without bending over, but your arm should end up straight. Working on charging or anything else, I prefer to be sitting lower.

How many shells at a time will be a lot in your decision. I like to sit in a regular chair. Stools will put pressure on the back of your thighs this can make your legs go numb. I like a bench 30 inches for general loading work, with a riser on the bench to put scales at eye level for easier accurate reading. I suggest mounting your press to a piece of 2X6 and clamp it to different height benches till you find the height you are comfortable with. Comfort keeps your mind on the job at hand not your legs or back. Good Luck in your selection.

I chose to make my bench 43 1/2" high. I tend to move around a great deal and set it up for standup.

If I do have some repetitive job I sit on my tama drummer's throne

Tama Round Rider Hydraulix Cloth Top Throne | Sweetwater.com

and use a lower platform. Same for turning necks on my lathe. The drummer's throne is also used for bench shooting. The pedestal can be instantly adjusted just like the front pedestal on a bass boat. I found the extremely dense foam so comfortable that I machined an adapter for that seat so it fits my front pedestal on the boat!!!

I like those Sam's Club ideas. Subscribing for later reference. I seem to like my bench at a comfortable height to use when standing. Then again, I am only 30 years young so that might change with time.

I built mine on metric - the bench is one meter high (about 39 inches) and I wouldn't change a thing. I can work standing straight up.

jweiel,
I am 58 and my bench is 36 inches high. I use a tall stool with a back or I can stand if I wish. All of my presses (Hornady AP LNL , Redding Big Boss 2 and Dillon RL550 are set up with roller handles from Inline Fabrication. Check out their website. Excellent products! The top is 2 inch thick butcher block and this is supported by 2 kitchen cabinets bought at LOWES. LoneTraveler has a great suggestion on how to get your scales to eye level so you don't have to bend over all the time to check the reading. I did this and its probably the best thing you can do for comfortable reloading next to the Inline Roller handles. Just a couple suggestions.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

My two benches are set up at 36" as well. I usually stand for a lot of my loading as I'm walking back and forth between them. If I am going to be in one spot for a long time, I do have a high bar stool that I can sit in for comfort and still use the taller height bench.

My bench is 36" high. The scale is eye level at 63 1/2" with a wire extension dropping the pan down to below shoulder height for comfort. My grand kids are having kids.

My recommendation is to have a bench that is low enough to rest your forearms on while sitting or standing in the position you will reload in. And when you figure that height, take into consideration a rubber mat to stand on.

Mine is standard table height I use a padded roll around chair and have a box I built to hold most of my reloading supplies years ago sitting on the table to set my scale on that brings it to eye level. I long ago out grew the box to store most of my stuff and have a five drawer filing cabinet next to the table for overflow reloading supplies. This was an old heavy work table I picked up for nothing if I was building a bench I might go a little taller so my press handle would be a bit higher when fully extended to the bottom but still be able to use my comfortable roll around chair.

I guess I'm in the high club.

I like to do my reloading standing up. I'm fairly tall, so I have my benches set up at 41", or just under my belt buckle. I would go a couple of inches higher before I'd go lower.

My back really appreciates this.

-nosualc

I actually run two different height benches. When I moved into my new house I was able to procure a section of counter top from a co-worker who was remodeling. I ripped the top in two & up a section on two diffent walls. This setup covers two full walls in my reloading room.

I prefer to stand while running my presses & sit when I'm doing case prep. If I tire out there's a couple of bar stools to sit on.

Much better than a chair for my taste.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts