Reloading D.A.Q (Dumb *** Question)

I remember my dad trying out some reloads many years ago for his 270 winny. After about the 5th pierced primer in a row he stopped shooting. Went back to the reloading bench and the tray of primers was still there. He used large pistol by accident. Made a sooty mess of the action! I would deprime them and reprime with SRP.

I have seen this a few times, and in my youth, I did it once myself. We had loaded a few thousand varmint rounds in 223, 222 and other, and a few primers spilled on the bench. Using my hand, I simply raked the primers into a primer tray for inserting into the Dillion primer tubes. Unknown to me at the time, there were a few SPP lying on the back of the bench, and they become mixed with the SRP.

Once we began our annual P-dog shoots, a couple of days into the shoot I opened the box of ammo that had the inadvertent pistol primers loaded. About every 3-4 rounds fired, I noticed gas blow back into my face (Thankfully, I was wearing shooting glasses), and I noticed the 222 load had an occasional pieced primer. I stopped shooting that box, and when I switched to another, the problem went away.

Upon returning home, I decapped the brass and measured and then discovered I had loaded a few with SPP instead. That taught me a valuable lesson.

Someone I know primed 50 rounds of their prepped small rifle brass with small pistol primers and caught the mistake before going any further. Hence the daq can the 223 shells be loaded with said primers and 23.7 gr Varget /w 53 gr Hornady bullets or should "they" scrap that idea and cut their loss on the primers. Asking for a friend. Lol
I want to say go for it.. but here is the "rub" Varget is a ball powder, ball powders like to be ignited with magnum primers. Extruded likes to be ignited with standard primers. since these primers are not small pistol magnums I would have to scrap the idea, detonate the primers, pull them and start over.

The ball powder issue supposedly revolves a lot around low temperature. Since I was a kid, I loaded 760 in the trusty old '06 with nothing but standard primers. In fifty years, I never had an issue.

The ball powder issue supposedly revolves a lot around low temperature. Since I was a kid, I loaded 760 in the trusty old '06 with nothing but standard primers. In fifty years, I never had an issue.
I've ignited a lot of Varget (which is extruded), and ball powders with standard primers.

Last edited:
Just adding my own .002
NOT a daq at all...and not sure there is such a thing as a dumb question as regards Reloading. ;)
This is why this I love this group. Tons of great information and knowledge from seasoned people. I really appreciate everyone here. I have had the same question if I did the same thing. Now I know the answer. The only DAQ is one that isn't asked because because of pride. Pride always goes before the fall.

This is why this I love this group. Tons of great information and knowledge from seasoned people. I really appreciate everyone here. I have had the same question if I did the same thing. Now I know the answer. The only DAQ is one that isn't asked because because of pride. Pride always goes before the fall.
That's a direct hit, bullseye dead center ! Only a few will know how hard it was to ask that question and feel really embarrassed