Reloader 7 powder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nelson, Mar 27, 2007.

1. nelson

nelson Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone knows if RL-7 powder has been dicontinued we do not seem to have any around home here and the big wholesalers are saying they can't get it. Any other suggestions for a powder for my .221 fireball with 40gr ballistic tips as the gophers are starting to rampage and need thining out and I am almost out of shells thanks

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Use Hodgdon Lil' Gun. Believe it or not, you can get 300-400 ft/sec increase in velocity with Lil' Gun and maintain great accuracy.

Now don't everyone attack me at once for that statement, but in my custom Hart barreled .221 rifle I get an honest 3,600 ft/sec with the 40gr B-Tip (moly) bullet and Lil' Gun powder. This load will shoot .5moa at 200yds regularely.

I'd suggest that you start at about 15.5gr and work up in .1 grain increments. I won't tell you what I use because it is max in MY rifle and may not be a good reference point in any other rifle. I did, however, load beyond the 3,600 ft/sec but quickly saw signs of excess pressure.

You can always use 4198 which has been the traditional powder for the .221 FB.