Reloader 7 powder

nelson

Just wondering if anyone knows if RL-7 powder has been dicontinued we do not seem to have any around home here and the big wholesalers are saying they can't get it. Any other suggestions for a powder for my .221 fireball with 40gr ballistic tips as the gophers are starting to rampage and need thining out and I am almost out of shells thanks

Use Hodgdon Lil' Gun. Believe it or not, you can get 300-400 ft/sec increase in velocity with Lil' Gun and maintain great accuracy.

Now don't everyone attack me at once for that statement, but in my custom Hart barreled .221 rifle I get an honest 3,600 ft/sec with the 40gr B-Tip (moly) bullet and Lil' Gun powder. This load will shoot .5moa at 200yds regularely.

I'd suggest that you start at about 15.5gr and work up in .1 grain increments. I won't tell you what I use because it is max in MY rifle and may not be a good reference point in any other rifle. I did, however, load beyond the 3,600 ft/sec but quickly saw signs of excess pressure.

You can always use 4198 which has been the traditional powder for the .221 FB.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.