Reloading powder shelf life?

EllisonJ

I have had some pistol powder on the shelf for about 8 years. The container was opened and lid replaced tightly. Loaded a few dozen 45 acp up and about 2/10 are duds. Disposed of the rest and the powder, but was wondering about the rest of my powders. I keep them indoors and at a normal temp. Any concern of experience with this?

Are you sure it was the powder?
Shelf life has alot to do with how its stored.

I've shot 35 year old factory ammo, and 25+ year old powders and primers that were stored in a cool/dark place-- also shot some surplus ammo that was almostv100 years old

Really depends on what conditions it was stored in

Hang fires are no fun though

I'm guessing somehow moisture worked it's way in there some how. I did the bullet on one and didn't see any difference in color or corrosion on the brass. I use Unique for my pistol powder (Dont have to worry about double charging due near full case). Have had great success with it up till now, and would assume it is from something I did. I will be loading some rifle cartridges soon and will keep my fingers crossed I do not have any more issues.

I've shot 35 year old factory ammo, and 25+ year old powders and primers that were stored in a cool/dark place-- also shot some surplus ammo that was almostv100 years old

Really depends on what conditions it was stored in

Hang fires are no fun though

Yes Sir!
Makes for a slow day at the range

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.