Relative Recoil

Leslie Sapp

memtb's post about his scope cut reminded me of this story my daughter told this week while recuperating from her 13 week vacation on sunny Parris Island, SC.

We don't have any black rifles at present, so she shipped to recruit training having never fired an AR15 or any other .223. When she finally got a chance to fire her rifle "Jaeger", her coach warned her to expect a loud noise and a "kick".

She snuggled up behind it in prone position and squeezed one off. She said it went "pop" and the sight picture hardly moved. She then looked up at her instructor with a puzzled expression.

He asked, "Something wrong?"
She said, "I thought you said these kicked."
He said, "They do kick."
She said, "It doesn't kick nearly as much as my rifle at home."
He asked, "What do you shoot at home?"
She responded, "A .264 Winchester magnum."
He laughed and said, "Well, in that case, no, these don't kick.":D

When she finally got a chance to fire her rifle "Jaeger", her coach warned her to expect a loud noise and a "kick".

She snuggled up behind it in prone position and squeezed one off. She said it went "pop" and the sight picture hardly moved. She then looked up at her instructor with a puzzled expression.

He asked, "Something wrong?"
She said, "I thought you said these kicked."
He said, "They do kick."
She said, "It doesn't kick nearly as much as my rifle at home."
He asked, "What do you shoot at home?"
She responded, "A .264 Winchester magnum."
He laughed and said, "Well, in that case, no, these don't kick.":D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Had a somewhat similar experience back in 1977. Another recruit was crying about the "kick" and I told him to shut up and shoot, this was just a little pop gun. That statement was immediately followed by my explaining to the Drill Instructor that I had been shooting center fire rifles for some 15 years and I still thought this was a little pop gun. He agreed, and this was immediately followed by about 20 minutes of bends & thrusts!

Semper Fi to Marine Sapp!

Nostalgia thread, I had my Parris Island vacation in '67 and I think I may have done a couple of "bends and thrusts". We were still shooting M-14s back then.

Gus

Ya my sons a Lance Corporal in Marines, they like those MT boys,he had my old 340 WBY and would shoot my 338 NM with me,44mag pistol.Hes a double expert and MP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.