Accuracy is relative!

Good responce Goodgrouper, that is exactly why this place is worth hangin' out at. Decent guys who want and will share shooting info. Thanks.

I really envy your living in Utah, expect your weather is bearable. We are averaging minus 40 windchill daytime temps and minus 50 at night. Shootin' prone out in the pasture at my steel plates is not gonna happen for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Saw a coyote yesterday when I was traveling back from Alberta and he looked ugly-cold - real fast little stiff-legged steps. Would be interesting to see how the rifles shoot long at minus forty but I believe I can probably get along without that info, unless the cabin-fever gets real bad.

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Yes like the Moderator said, when I read the post I thought Jeff was backing your point, and didn't think the statements at the end were aimed at you.

Thanks for the time on your post.

Jeff Rogers is a true gentleman

and as I know him from other forums, he wouldn't make a statement to offend anyone. He is an Australian 1K Benchrest Record holder and I would back him long time before I would back you. Get over it, you know all.

Peter

Very good thread!!!!! Very good points!!!!! Not to offend anyone but the points made by GG are spot on and the comment about finding a Mentor are also spot on….. I am fortunate to have one the best in the business period who has forgotten more about precision shooting and building precision shooting instruments than most. Not everyone can have a close friend who would not only let them spend hundreds of hours in his shop (was allowed to do some small things after my work was closely scrutinized) but also spend time teaching "grasshopper" the importance of the small things that would be completely oblivious to others about this sport because of the reasons previously mentioned by GG.

Just for example one small detail about turning brass-----use a lathe to do it (use a lube that will ensure absolutely the minimum of heat eneration during the operation) and a precisely ground mandrel to size the neck to the proper required ID. I just gave up on buying one already cut-----not precise enough in most cases. This is just a small snippet about a portion of the brass turning operation. When one has the opportunity to have a HOF shooter show him the tricks of the trade then one is indeed fortunate and would be a fool not to learn from the best.

and as I know him from other forums, he wouldn't make a statement to offend anyone. He is an Australian 1K Benchrest Record holder and I would back him long time before I would back you. Get over it, you know all.

Peter

Chill Out---go have a cold one mate!!

Peter

I think that Boss Hoss is right chill out and have a Brew..

goodgrooper has already apologized, in case you missed it, here it is.

by goodgrooper

Point taken. If you believe the reply was not contentious, then I believe the same. My appologies to the victim are in order. I don't know why I interpreted it that way, I guess the wording of it confused me and I was tired of posts like that. Consider my tail tucked and my head hung low.
Perhaps you owe goodgrooper an apology

WOW !! where did that come from?? It was never my intention to berate you or belittle your post ,but ya only have to bite me on the *** once for me to learn..BE assured i will never involve myself with one of your posts again so as to not reoffend...JR..Jeff Rogers

I take it your not married Jeff? :D:D:D

Despite getting off topic a bit I appreciate this post.

"Is it above my knowledge or is it something I should and could post something on? That is the question."

I try and ask myself that question posed by goodgrouper everytime I am ready to hit that submit reply button. I usually realize that I do not know enough to respond and hit the back button:)

But hey I admit my shortcomings and while I try and police myself I understand that there are others here who will call BS if I say something really stupid. If I am wrong I hope that I have enough character to realize my mistake and try to make amends as goodgrouper did in his own post. "This requires that we must keep an open mind, and not be afraid to admit when we're wrong." That is called practicing what you preach.

I agree that testing is the measure of accuracy and really appreciate all of the posters here that share thier results. I have learned a lot on this site but the main thing I have learned is how little I know. If it were not for my mentor I would have probably thrown my hands up a long time ago. Whoever suggested finding one was spot on. Like Boss Hoss I found a good one and feel that a mentor is the number one thing you can do to increase your knowledge....even more than visiting site.

"Is it above my knowledge or is it something I should and could post something on? That is the question."

I agree wholeheartedly. There are a few here who are exceptionally skilled. A few of those are inclined to be helpful. Always posting informative, accurate info. However there are an abundance of folks who take it upon themselves to iether refute this accurate info or post misleading, incorrect ideas as though they were posting facts. Then, these folks defend thier innacurate positions passionately and vehemently.

It sure makes for some confusing reading. Sometimes the info is simply erroneous. Sometimes, it's costly or dangerous.

Sure be nice if folks didn't post speculation, superstition, or stupidity as fact!

The place is gettin' crowded.

Well as with the internet you have quite a few experts who have read a few articles and spent a little time behind the trigger but then there are those as mentioned previously who attempt to take it to a different level. There is nothing wrong with being a casual shooter but don't try and represent yourself as something else.

It is a well known fact that by increasing your diligence and the adherence to proper techniques and methods it is difficult to get to the next level. I know enough about this sport to know that I have a long way to go as do most folks --- but I never give up because "winning isn't everything but losing sucks" as my mentor is so fond of saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.