Reduced Recoil 270 Win Bullet Choice

USAFRet

Working up some reduced recoil loads for deer hunting for my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle and Ruger No. 1. My initial testing has my loads running about 2600fps for 130 grain using A5744. I also have a couple pounds of H4895 for the same purpose.
Out of the bullets below, which would you recommend (my current stock)? Shots no longer than 250 yards. I am leaning toward the Noslers. One of the nice folks on here suggested those as well.
Nosler 150 grain ABLR
Sierra 140 grain TGK
Hornady 120 grain SST (This one was screaming at about 2800 fps with reduced loads)
Hornady 130 grain SST
Hornady 130 grain Interlock SP
Hornady 140 grain Interlock BTSP
I also have Barnes 129 grain LRX and Barnes 140 grain TSX but no load data to be found for reduced recoil loads. Reached out to Barnes but no reply.

I believe the "long range" designed bullets are designed with the thinking that it will strike the target at distance, so therefore a reduced velocity. The Barnes LRX states just that in their info on their website. SO I am thinking if you are using a reduced power (lower velocity) load, a long range bullet would perform as you would hope.

Just wondering why the reduced load? If you load a minimum load, then end up hunting in real cold weather, you might end up with some pressure problems, especially if the bullet gets stuck halfway down the barrel.
A medium range load (not minimum and not maximum) might be the most accurate and end up being the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I'd use, the "Softest" ( quickest Expanding ) Tipped Bullet that, I could find to "Expand" at, those, Lower Velocities in,..
the 129 - 130 gr Range ( Bal Tips, SST's, ELD-M's, etc. ),. Look at "Tests" online or, do your Own Tests to, Be,.. SURE !

I agree with most of the above posts…..get a bullet designed to expand at lower velocities!

It's a shame that you don't have any bergers…..when they expand, they do so violently! 🙂 They should give good expansion down to handgun velocities! 😂 memtb

Hodgdon states that H4895 can safely run reduced loads: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

About 44.0gr of H4895 should drive the 116gr Absolute Hammer to about 2800 fps, which yields roughly the same recoil as the 130gr you are talking about in OP at 2600 fps.

At 250 yards, the Hammer is still going a touch over 2200fps, which should effectively shut off deer sized game quickly.

Absent the Hammer option, I'd use the H4895 to reduced loads for the 120 SST

Last edited:
I've considered similar low recoil loads for various calibers and my approach would be to use the lightest bullet feasible with a lower charge of the appropriate powder (usually faster burning for lighter bullets). For my .270 I would have used a 110 grain bullet. Barnes makes one and I'm sure that Hammer Bullets make them too. Those mono bullets should work great on game with a terminal velocity of 1800 fps or better. Post back on how it goes.

Hodgdon states that H4895 can safely run reduced loads: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

About 44.0gr of H4895 should drive the 116gr Absolute Hammer to about 2800 fps, which yields roughly the same recoil as the 130gr you are talking about in OP at 2600 fps.

At 250 yards, the Hammer is still going a touch over 2200fps, which should effectively shut off deer sized game quickly.

Absent the Hammer option, I'd use the H4895 to reduced loads for the 120 SST
I did a 120 SST load up and got good ES and SD. Depth testing is a little tough with such a short bullet. Not much real estate.

120 SST_270 Win.JPG

120 Grain SST 270 Win.jpg

Last edited:
I did a 120 SST load up and got good ES and SD. Depth testing is a little tough with such a short bullet. Not much real estate.

View attachment 444087

View attachment 444102
Hammer bullets are generally not sensitive to jump to rifling. Go to Hodgdon's load data site and choose 120gr and H4895. It will get you close. Seat so the rim will crimp into the last groove in the bullet. The Lee factory type crimp die works the best. The Hammers like having some crimp for better accuracy.

They will open up reliably down to 1800, so you have a good margin at 250 yards with a MV of 2800.

I've shot 4 times with Hammers, and there were 4 dead deer. 3/4 ran in a circle and died, the other was a bang/flop.

I think you will find them accurate and quite efficient on deer.

Working up some reduced recoil loads for deer hunting for my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle and Ruger No. 1. My initial testing has my loads running about 2600fps for 130 grain using A5744. I also have a couple pounds of H4895 for the same purpose.
Out of the bullets below, which would you recommend (my current stock)? Shots no longer than 250 yards. I am leaning toward the Noslers. One of the nice folks on here suggested those as well.
Nosler 150 grain ABLR
Sierra 140 grain TGK
Hornady 120 grain SST (This one was screaming at about 2800 fps with reduced loads)
Hornady 130 grain SST
Hornady 130 grain Interlock SP
Hornady 140 grain Interlock BTSP
I also have Barnes 129 grain LRX and Barnes 140 grain TSX but no load data to be found for reduced recoil loads. Reached out to Barnes but no reply.
For your intended purpose, esp. for shots no longer than 250Y, any of what you listed will work; no need to complicate it unnecessarily.

From one USAF retired to another, cheers!

Last edited:
Hammer bullets are generally not sensitive to jump to rifling. Go to Hodgdon's load data site and choose 120gr and H4895. It will get you close. Seat so the rim will crimp into the last groove in the bullet. The Lee factory type crimp die works the best. The Hammers like having some crimp for better accuracy.

They will open up reliably down to 1800, so you have a good margin at 250 yards with a MV of 2800.

I've shot 4 times with Hammers, and there were 4 dead deer. 3/4 ran in a circle and died, the other was a bang/flop.

I think you will find them accurate and quite efficient on deer.
I forgot about the Barnes 120 listed. That will work. Thank you.