Bullet Choice for the 300 Win

Blacktail

I am having a gun built as we speak 24" #2 contour shilen 1:10 twist. Going to work on a shooting 165/168 mostly. Any thoughts? My gunsmith is big on the TSX i am still skeptical. Thinking bout bergers, accubonds, TSX or maybe even the new tsx with teh polymer tip.

I have a McMillian 300 WM and shoot 168 VLD's. They group about 1/2" in my rifle. I too, was wondering at first which bullet would be best. I called Berger Bullets and they put me in touch with Walt Berger, himself. Walt not only suggested the 168 VLD, but also sent me load data. He was a great source of info! If I were you, I would call Berger Bullets.

However, having said that, I also shoot the 180 TSX and my rifle groups about 3/4'', sometimes slightly better.

I use RL-22 for both loads, with very good results!

In my humble opinion, you can do very well with either

Last edited:
300 wm

I load 168 tsx at 3300 fps in a sako 300 win mag with reloader 22 with 1/2" accuracy at 100yds. Send me a pm for my recipe.

I shoot 180 TSX in Win. cases, federaal 215 M primer, 81 grains of H-1000. Accuracy is superb. I took an Antelope with this combo at 777 yards. It works

I have been playing with the new 130 grain TSX with the polymer tip in my 270 WSM with very good results. The Tikka with that bullet and R19 is shooting .4" at a 100. When time allows I will see what it will do at longer ranges. I plan to try some in my 300 win mag soon.

What grain and i hear they can be finicky to reload? I have no experience with them at all

The only thing I have found finicky with
Bergers is that they usually need to be seated on or into the lands to shoot their best. Some shoot them with .010 -.050 jump but I have never been able to do that with my rifles. I set them to just touch the lands when chambered.

300 Win Mag

I would recomend you try Swift Sciroccos, especially the 180s. The shoot great and hold their weight. I shoot them in my .243, .308, 30-06, and 300Win Mag. They are a tangent Ogive and like a jump, polymer tip, and VLD boattail, tapered,and bonded jacket.

Rustystud

Blacktail. I've used the Scirroco in a 280 Rem and the 180's in the 300 WM. Only shot one Bull, but at 542 yds and made a four pointer out of him. He was on his back and all four were pointing straight up! I love that bullet in the 300. I have a direct number to one of Swifts Techs, PM me if you need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.