Redding parts non interchangeable

rickdavis81

I'm trying to get setup to reload for my 20 practical. Ordered a Redding 223 type s bushing die. Turns out I ordered a neck sizing die, not sure if that'll play into this. Ordered a 204 decapping pin assembly and some bushings. The 204 decapping assembly has a different thread size than the 223 and the 204 doesn't come apart like the 223. Thought well I'll use the sizing "thimble". Won't clear the 223 collet on the end of the decapping assembly. Now what should I do?

Attachments

• C04CA956-2711-4807-9919-8BAC84E3E54B.jpeg
    C04CA956-2711-4807-9919-8BAC84E3E54B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
I'd call Redding. I used the same parts when I set up for 20P and they had the same threads. Maybe they have changed the 223?? Anyway, Redding helped me on a couple of issues when I was working through them.

Numbers on my die boxes are:
Type S neck die - 71111
Type S full length - 77111
I don't have the number for the 17/20 rod assy.

As a last resort, if they no longer make a 17/20 rod assy with the same threads:
take the expander ball off the 223 rod, size/decap with your 20 cal bushing to the neck tension you want and you don't need an expander ball. Or, size with a .20 cal bushing then use a mandrel die to expand.

Lee custom made me a 20P collet die and seating die back then for about $75.
Their site says they are not doing custom right now however.

Here is a quote from GLShooter on another forum (I think Greg is on here too). He probably has about as much experience with 20P (and some others) as anyone.

"As for the decapping set up I would never run an expander button on these and defeat the use of the bushings. You can take the decapping pin retainer ball, smaller than 223 in the set and turn it down enough to go through the 20 caliber necks and not have to bother with a new stem. It will work in any of the 223 based cases of 20 and above."

You might have to experiment to find the right bushing for your necks, but you eliminate the need for an expander and can make the 223 rod work.

Good question Rick. Mine is set up to use a 20 cal expander ball, so I don't know how guys that just use a bushing handle that. I was just trying to brainstorm ways you could get the job done if Redding no longer makes compatible threads between 20 and 22 dies.
If the dent isn't too bad, the bushing would probably round it out.
If you you were careful/good/lucky turning down that 223 decapper rod retainer, it would do the job.

^^ That makes more sense right there.
All parts would have to be for a "type S" bushing die to be compatible.
Hopefully, OP can return both and get a full length S die and a 20 cal S stem assy. and be in business.

Just doing some more poking around on the net - there are people saying they use a Hornady universal 20 cal neck sizer: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-46038-Neck-Size-204/dp/B003HHRSNA
If that is truly adjustable, then you could use any 223 sizer with the stem removed (to size the body), then set up and size the 20 cal neck with the Hornady. Not sure how it would work for necking down in one pass, but it should work fine for brass fired in 20P.