Redding Competition Bushing Style - Neck Sizing Die - Interchangeable Bushings

Pdvdh

I own a Redding Competition Bushing Style - Neck Sizing Die for the 338 Rem Ultra Mag.

Is there any reason I couldn't use this 338 die with the appropriate neck bushing for neck sizing a 25 RUM? Same basic cartridge case necked down to .257? I've tried contacting Redding by phone (no luck) and by e-mail last week, but so far haven't received any response.

Anyone tried this or done something like this with a Redding bushing style neck sizing die? Like maybe using their 338 RUM die with neck bushings for the 300 RUM or 7mm RUM?

Conceptually I don't visualize any problems. The casing should still be pretty well centered in the sliding sleeve, no?

I have not done this yet. But as far as I can see it will work. I remove the expander anyway and only size down to .001 or .0015" below loaded neck size with the brass and bullet I am using. Should work fine. I have a couple different redding "S" dies and have measured the OD. of the bushings. They all seem to be .500"

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'm ready to order some bushings but prior to parting with the money, I was looking for reassurance I wouldn't be wasting it. I'll give this thread a little more time and see if anyone that's actually done this, or talked to Redding about this, chimes in.

A 25RUM....are we feeling the need for speed?

don't claim to know for sure, but i'm under the impression that the shoulder height(headspace) may be different. some bushings seem to go down over the shoulder/case wall intersection and some seem to start somewhere on the shoulder surface. not sure which RUM case you're using but the 338 is a little shorter which is not a big deal. just make sure the shoulder surface is complete on the bushing or you might have a step on the shoulder of a sized case.

I read an article in American Rifleman called 1/2 mile .22's (I can't remember what issue), Where the Author was loading for a .22-6mm AI loading long vld Bullets. He used a bushing sizer for a 6mm AI to size and a .22-250 Competition seating die to seat his bullets. Not sure if they were Redding though. you would also need a sizing button to keep the necks sized propperly and would have to definately trun the necks.

I would guess that it is possible, but I would call redding. It may be wiser to just get some dies made.

Dan

I did exactly that, used 25 wssm dies for a 6.5 wssm. If I remember correctly the tech at Redding told me you could go up or down 1 caliber size and the bushings would work, more than that they said wouldn't. I can't remember why.

Would certainly check with them before ordering, not sure I've got the details right.

Chris

A 25RUM....are we feeling the need for speed?

don't claim to know for sure, but i'm under the impression that the shoulder height(headspace) may be different. some bushings seem to go down over the shoulder/case wall intersection and some seem to start somewhere on the shoulder surface. not sure which RUM case you're using but the 338 is a little shorter which is not a big deal. just make sure the shoulder surface is complete on the bushing or you might have a step on the shoulder of a sized case.

Ha! A guy at the local gun shop asked why I wanted a 25 RUM. My reply was I wanted my bullet to strike the 600 yd gong before his, even while letting him fire first. :D He shook his head like he was expecting a more adult-like answer. :)

I neck down the 7mm RUM case to 25 caliber for this cartridge and it's ready to go. Well not quite. There's also the standard uniforming of the primer pocket, inside deburring the flash hole, outside neck turning, annealing the case necks, cornmeal fireforming to pressure fit the cases to my chamber, trimming to uniform case length, VLD deburring the inner case neck and deburring the outer case neck.

The case body and shoulder angle on all the RUMs are basically the same to my knowledge, so I think the 338 RUM bushing neck sizing die would be completely functional with the proper sized bushing for the 300 RUM, 7mm RUM or my wildcat 25 RUM.

I already have a custom Redding full length sizing die. But I also want the option of neck sizing only - using a bushing die. I'll study my 338 RUM die setup tonight by unscrewing the top half of the bushing neck sizing die to see where my 25 RUM case neck/shoulder junction is positioned with the RCBS press ram in the proper up position. As long as the neck/shoulder junction clears the recess that the neck bushing bottoms out on in the sleeve, I think this sleeve and die will function properly with a 257 neck bushing.

Thanks for the input to date. I'll see if I can't get ahold of Redding Tech staff by phone again tommorow.

Last edited:
The case body and shoulder angle on all the RUMs are basically the same to my knowledge, so I think the 338 RUM bushing neck sizing die would be completely functional with the proper sized bushing for the 300 RUM, 7mm RUM or my wildcat 25 RUM.

the 338rum is a different size case than the 7, 300, and 375. it's about .090 shorter. that's what i was talking about with the length issue. i just reread your post and i think my statement is unnecessary. case body....shoulder angle...got cha.

someone else said they thought you could go up or down one caliber size. this makes sense because of what i was trying to explain about the shoulder juncture.

is there a term for breaking the barrel in and having it burnt out at the same time?

is there a term for breaking the barrel in and having it burnt out at the same time?

The closest term I could think of is overbore fun! :) The worst ending is I'll have to buy a new barrel. I'll go up in caliber to 7mm or 300 RUM is the barrel life if the 25 RUM life is too short-lived.

Here's some follow-up information for those interested. This has application to the RUM shooters - could save someone a little money.

I studied my Redding 388 RUM competition bushing style neck sizing die for a while tonight, and then used it to neck size a 7mm RUM case, simply by replacing my .362" neck bushing (for my 338 Edge) with a .310" neck bushing suitable for the 7mm RUM case. You simply need to back off the micrometer adjustment to ensure the neck bushing only sizes the neck, and doesn't impact and deform the case shoulder. With my 25 RUM, I'll have to back off the micrometer adjustment even more, because the smaller the neck size, the longer the shoulder, and the shoulder of the case will protrude up through the sliding sleeve even farther. This just means the 25 RUM neck could be deformed even more than with the 7mm RUM case if precaution isn't taken to back off the micrometer adjustment.

In conclusion: The 338 RUM Redding competition bushing style neck sizing die can also be used to neck size 300 RUM, 7mm RUM, and even 25 RUM cases. When you size down more than one caliber, such as when going from 338 down to 7mm RUM or 25 RUM, the case shoulder will likely protrude up through the sliding sleeve to the point that the case neck could be driven up into the neck bushing and deform the case shoulder after sizing down the entire neck of the case. In order to size the neck only, you'll have to back off the micrometer adjustment to ensure the case shoulder isn't driven up into contact with the neck bushing.

So I'm going to order the appropriate neck bushings for the 25 RUM. $10 for a neck bushing is a lot more cost effective than purchasing an entirely new competition bushing style neck sizing die. If you happen to own a Redding 338 RUM competition bushing style neck sizing die, you can use that same die to bushing neck size the 300 RUM or the 7mm RUM. If you own the 300 RUM bushing style neck sizing die, you can also use that die to neck size 7mm RUM brass simply by obtaining and installing the proper sized neck bushings for the smaller calibers.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
I talked to Redding Tech staff today. Their standard recommendation is that stepping down one caliber should be fine. If stepping down two or more calibers is involved, the concerns are that the casing may not be supported as well within the sliding sleeve since their is less case shoulder present to hold the case in precise alignment with the neck bushing. After studying the sleeve arrangement last night, I don't see this being a legitimate concern. The neck bushing and casing are both held securely within the sliding sleeve - pretty much locked into place. There's the possibility that the motive for that recommendation is you'll sell more dies if you don't advise using any sizing die for more than a single cartridge.

I'll check the concentricity of my neck sized case necks just to be sure. I asked Redding if 7mm RUM sleeves were available for purchase as a separate item and the tech staff said that he didn't know. He said check with Sinclair International. I have no idea how or why Sinclair staff would know more about Redding sleeve availability than Redding staff... regardless I don't anticipate any concentricity problems using my 338 sleeve.

Last edited:
so i guess this 7rum bushing die i have could size my 338edge stuff with the right bushing. won't do it because i have a lovely i piece FL die from Forster.

if there were alignment issues, which i tend to agree with you it's a slim probability, you could rotate the brass a little each time just sizing a bit of the case with each increasing amount of stroke. this tends to make straighter brass.

won't do it because i have a lovely i piece FL die from Forster.

You'd better hang on to that as it is one of a kind.:D

I'm still waiting.....

phorwath, if that doesn't work Forester will make you a custom die for $80 and 8-9 weeks supposedly (seems reasonable in my eyes).

Last edited:
Dave,

I don't think you could use a smaller caliber bushing style - neck sizing die to neck size a larger caliber case. The smaller neck diameter reamed into the sliding sleeve from the smaller caliber sleeve would prevent the larger diameter case neck from fully engaging the sleeve. Try to chamber one of your 338 Edge cases into the sliding sleeve of your 7mm RUM die. I'm virtually certain the 338 caliber case neck won't slide through the 7mm-sized neck reamed into the 7mm RUM sleeve.

So this only works one way to my knowledge. If you have the bushing style neck sizing die and sliding sleeve for the larger caliber, you can use that die and sleeve for smaller caliber cases with the same body taper and shoulder angle. Just need to install the proper sized neck bushing.

But this won't work the other way around. I'd try it for you but I only have the 338 RUM die and sleeve.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.