Redding competition necksizing bushings....Help!!!!

yooperchuck

I have a redding competition seating die. Also a redding competition necksizing die. Both just recently purchased. Now of course the bushings dont come with the necksizing die. I read that I should take a micrometer and measure some loaded bullets and subtract .001 or .002 to get the right sizing/fit for reloading bullets. I am shooting .308's and reloading them. My dilema is when I measure loaded bullets I come up with just too many numbers to subtract .001 or .002 from. I would have to buy a dumptruck full of bushings to eventually get the right size bushing. MY question is when I am measuring these bullets should I keep in mind that I will need a bushing for the nosler 155 matchbullets.....a bushing for the 110 v-max bullets....and a bushing for the nosler or sierra 168 grain bullets I intend to shoot. Should I measure them seperately? And get different dies for each bullet? I have been reloading using rcbs regular dies and using a rockchucker press. Any help would be appreciated.

I am assuming that your case necks are all the same thickness(within 0.001")If not, its a good idea to neck turn your cases for better uniformity, or get brass that has better specs.
In theory, you want to measure the diameter of your bullet (say .308") and the wall thickness of your case necks (say .013")
Add the bullet diameter(.308)to the neck wall thickness (.013") x2 (=.026"). So .308" +.026" =.334". This should also be the diameter of the neck of a loaded case, assuming my dimensions are correct.
You want to have the bushing undersized by .001" or 002" to give you some neck tension and to allow for some "springback" in the brass.
So when you order bushings, its a good idea to get bushings .001", .002" and even .003" undersized.
Also, a good idea to measure the diameter of different make bullets, as they sometimes can differ in diameter, though not a lot.
Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the post Thomast. I guess i could have added that i use winchester brass exclusively at this time. Maybe investing in some nosler, or norma brass would solve most of the neck measurement discretions?

I use Lapua brass - its pricey, but less time required to prep the brass. The flash holes ,for instance are not punched through,therefore no burrs left inside the case.
The neck wall thickness is also very even throughout to begin with.Try getting some, you wont be sorry. BTW, Norma brass is also very good- they use a similar manufacturing teqnique to Lapua
Have a nice day!

Yooper,
Like THOMAST said, neck thickness uniforminity is the key.
In order for neck bushings to function properly case necks must be turned in order to ensure consistant neck tension.

Ian.

If you don't neckturn than necksizing with a bushing neck sizer probably won't work. If you want to necksize but not turn necks you need a collet necksizer. They work great.

I think the Bushing dies are one of those thing that are better if used correctly, but difficult to use correctly.

I use standard redding neck size dies and forester competiton seating dies. I don't need to set a BR world record.

I use forester FL dies when I'm reloading fired brass for someone else or if I plan to use in different rifles.

Thanks for the adice and ideas guys!!

I have a goal for the end of this summer. I want to be able to be consistant at 500 yards shooting my .308. As I creep along to my objective I am amazed at how information is shared by people on this forum willing to take the time to share their experience. I thank you all from the bottom of my yooper heart.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.