Redding bushing die problem

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Dana in Montana, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Dana in Montana

Dana in Montana Well-Known Member

My 6.5X06 bushing neck die seems to be too LONG>.....the shellholder bottoms out on the base of the die before i get much sizing on the case neck...only about 1/3 of the neck is being sized.I have the bushing stop stem all the way down (while still allowing just a bit of 'float')......could it be as simple as the die being mis-marked ???
    thanks
    Dana

2. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Dana,

Have you tried flipping the bushing over?

3. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

OK, Shawn, enlighten me. What is doing that supposed to do? As far as I can tell, my bushings look identical from either end. Obviously, I must've missed something here...:confused: Thanks.

4. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

I have had some that had a bit of taper to them on one end. It is my understanding on Redding dies the diameter number is susposed to go up. I am not sure this is the problem just wondered if you had checked it.

5. woods

woods Well-Known Member

Are you compressing the sliding sleeve fully up into the die body?

6. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

OK. Interesting. I had wondered about that. Putting the number up is what I had defaulted to. Thanks.

7. Dana in Montana

Do you mean the bushing?? I have the bushing set to give MAXIMUM sizing on the length of the neck....I have the stop backed off just enough to let the bushing 'float' a bit.
    quote (I have had some that had a bit of taper to them on one end. It is my understanding on Redding dies the diameter number is susposed to go up. I am not sure this is the problem just wondered if you had checked it.) quote

Yes,I did turn the bushing over..but it should size the LENGTH no matter which end is up or tapered (unless it were some manufacturing error which produced an extreme taper in the bushing).I"m pretty sure Redding says the "number goes up"

8. 700P

700P New Member

Call Redding and see what they say, maybe your die is to long

9. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it matter but Redding makes the Type S die in 6.5x06 (A-Square) might be a different case?

10. Dana in Montana

Tom,i THINK that A-Square simply 'trademarked' the 6.5X06 as the "6.5 A-Square"...so far as I know there isn't any difference in the 2 cases...but i might be all wet too!
    Dana

11. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

I am also having this problem but with a 6-284 Win Type-S Full Length Sizer die from Redding. I have the die adjusted so that the shellholder has the press ram "cam" slightly at full stroke. My bushing has the numbers up in the die. I am getting about 3/4 of the neck sized, but this is leaving a "donut" at the shoulder neck junction. The bushing is set to have a very slight "float" in the die.

12. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

Custom chambers?

13. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Hmm...quote from latest Redding catalog:

"When using your bushing die, we have found that lubricating case necks and installing the bushing numbers down may improve results. Many reloaders like to adjust the die to size 1/2 to 3/4 of the case neck. this has been shown to improve accuracy in some instances."

They don't say why...just thought it might add to the discussion...

14. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Interesting, the tech I talked to a while back said the have the numbers up, it would be nice if they would make their mind up.