redding bushing die

new shooter

How do i know which bushing to get for full length sizer die type s bushing redding. for 7mm savage. I do not have the gun yet. would like to get the die before gun gets here ?

I have one set of these and they leave verticle pinch marks in the neck of the case. Is this normal? I sure didnt like it as I feel it would be a good place to start a crack.

Jeff

Call lee they will give you a new one free. They are great to deal with.

"...they leave verticle pinch marks in the neck of the case. Is this normal?"

Yes, it's normal. It's really not a "pinch mark", what you're seeing is where the collet jaws didn't push and that leaves slightly raised pads, sort of a "non-pinch". It's meaningless but you can give the cases a tiny turn and size them again to push those raised pads down.

"I sure didnt like it as I feel it would be a good place to start a crack."

That's not been a problem for me and I've used those dies for maybe 12-14 years. In fact, part of why I like them so much is my cases last significantly longer without splitting than they do with any "normal" sizer design. And my sized necks are quite a bit straigher too; not perfect (that's unobtainable with most cases) but significantly better on average. So is accuracy.

The Lee collet neck die sizes the necks against a straight, center mounted steel mandrel that's slightly under bullet diameter. All necks end up with the same insided diameter (often refered to as bullet "tension") no matter the actual thickness of the necks. Bushing dies can only make the outside of the sized necks the same and have to use an inside expander to make them consistant. That inside expander ball is THE thing that causes most neck non-alignment/bullet runout.

Thanks Boomtube for the info. I dont like the looks of the lines and when I rotated the case and sized again I still seen it I am going to stick with my redding bushing dies. You dont have to use the expander when the right bushing is used ( I don't) they supply decapping rod mandrel that is smaller for this. If you have the right bushing and do use the expander the amount of work it does is minimal. My total runout at the o-give averages 1/2 a thou. That is better than I was getting with the lee collets by a couple thou.

Thanks!
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.