Recommends a 264 diameter bullet?

Sully2

For 500 yard animals such as maybe antelope etc. I need a good performing slug that I can buy..!!! and reload to do what I need.

Thanks

The Sierra Pro-hunter might be something you'd want to consider. They're pretty frangible so not suitable for short range but for an accurate long range bullet in the right right rifle with suitable twist rate they should perform exceptionally well.
Berger also has a good hunting bullet in .264; a VLD that's a little heavier than the Sierra. Again, however, a 1:8 or faster twist is needed to get full advantage out of these bullets.

Depends on what your going to shoot it in? If it is in a 264 Win mag or some wildcat around it you need a tougher bullet like one of the bonded bullets for those close up inside 100 yards shots that seem to always pop up. In my 264 Win mag I use the Nosler 130 Accubond at 3350 fps muzzle and it is in my book the perfect bullet for deer size game. I deer hunt with it and have taken deer from 30 to a little over 400 yards and it expands but holds together and exits and kills them DRT. If you are going to be using something that will not have a impact velocity over 3000 fps then most any 120 to 140 gr cup and core bullet does fine. I have killed lots of deer with 120 gr Sierra Sp and Nosler ballistic tips as well as 140 Sierra SP and Hornday SP in my 6.5x55. When you get beyond 300 yards the 140 gr bullets do better in the wind than the 120s. If you do your part these bullets will do their part.

I pretty much use Accubonds in everything from 25 cal up. I really like the 140gr in my 264 Win Mag.
The 130gr is good too, but the 140gr has longer legs.

There's no flies on a 140gr Partition either for what you want to do.

Cheers.
gun)

You didn't mention what calber/velocity you are running. I have shot several antelope/deer from 200 yards out to 1000 yards with 140 Berger Hunting VLD's. Excellent, full penetration/major internal damage. Velocity out of my 6.5x284 is 2970FPS.

For a .260 I'd run a 130gr accubond or a 130gr berger. Not sure the heavier 140gr bullets would give you any noticeable advantage at those distances and closer. The 160gr matrix is impressive but I feel it needs a larger case (more fps) to really take advantage of its .665 BC.

Given the velocities of the 260 in the 2800FPS range I would lean towards the heavier, high BC 140 VLDs for 500 yard antelope. I load these with 45gr of H4831sc and hsve been able to produce .25-.5MOA accuracy at 500 yards with very low ES in my 260. This load is at thereafter max and needs to be worked up.

Given the velocities of the 260 in the 2800FPS range I would lean towards the heavier, high BC 140 VLDs for 500 yard antelope. I load these with 45gr of H4831sc and hsve been able to produce .25-.5MOA accuracy at 500 yards with very low ES in my 260. This load is at thereafter max and needs to be worked up.

Gotcha GreyFox.....mucho thanks

Nosler 140 grain ballistic tips and accubonds are both currently available from Midwayusa. They would do the trick for you until the sexier stuff becomes available again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.