Recommendations on rifle caliber please

If you really want to be a top dog in the predator hunting area dont worry about what size cal you need. I've been hunting and tracking coyote for a very long time and found out along time ago the better you call the closer they come to you. I use a little old .17hmr Savage and out kill most of my buddies with their bigger calibers. Most of them dont call very well so they always want me to go to do the calling and when I do the yotes come in so fast that they dont get a chance to sight in on them befor the yotes are with in 30 to 50 yrds. So learn to call and let your buddes want to take you hunting its great having not to pay for the gas with so any of your friends wanting to use your calling experince in calling. PS. I sell my fur and not having them all torn up from a.larg cal gun getse more money!

Well any calling tips you'd be willing to let loose with :cool:

Quote- I use a little old .17hmr Savage and out kill most of my buddies with their bigger calibers.

How does that little bullet do when you hit bone? I've been thinking of trying my .17 but just wasn't sure it'd be up to the task. How far is the effective kill range with that little bugger?

The .223 works great for me. But I do a lot of calling and never have to squeeze one off at that kind of distance.

Pockets,I love to use my .17 as well! With a well placed shot to the head,they don't move out of their tracks.

If your goal is to build rifle on your long action that gives you more power & range, the .25-06 would be my first and last choice. Bullet choice then becomes the question with two directions to go: light fragile bullets that will break up and hopefully not exit, or copper solids that will pass through with only a small exit hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.