Info on scope/ammo recommendations for Eichler RRA AR?

Don Martin

I just got my RRA Fred Eichler series AR in .223 and am seeking recommendations from others as to the scope/ammo for this rifle.

I spoke to Eichler he suggested 53 grain Hornady, but had no scope recommendation.

I'll be shooting coyotes and maybe javelina out to 400-500 yards.

Thanks!

There are lots of good options for scopes out there depending on where and how you hunt. I tend to err on the side of a high field of view rather than high magnification. As primarily a caller, I've missed far more opportunities because I couldn't pick the coyote up in the scope quick enough than because of too little magnification. (I'll readily admit that my slightly cross-dominant eyes make it difficult to keep both eyes open and therefor FOV is a bigger issue for me than for some.) For calling coyotes, I used a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8X and their 3-9X's for years. I also used a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X for a short time also but found the adjustments were not true enough to suit my tastes. My current calling rifle (See my article in the February 2014 LRH magazine "The Perfect Coyote Rifle" The Perfect Coyote Rifle) wears a Leupold VX6 2-12X that combines both high FOV for close shots and enough power to reach out and touch someone. I love it. The VX6 3-18X actually would have had enough FOV for me as well but the scope was just looked a little too big for my sporter rifle IMO. Let your own budget, tastes and circumstances be your guide. Good luck to you!

I shoot a Weatherby Mk V, 223, with 53gr VMax. It's mounted with a Vortex 2.5-10 PST, illuminated reticle. I've shot coyotes, fox and bobcats out to 300yds with excellent results. No lost animals in 4 years using this set up.
Currently I switched to a Rem700 SA, 243, NF 3.5-15x50 NSX, illuminated reticle. Hand loads of 85gr Sierra SP Gamekings. Field verified data to 800 yds. Kills to 670 so far. Great hunting the foothills and desert edge of Imperial Valley, Ca.
Works great shooting across canyons and draws.
Good Luck and remember good setups and shot placement=success!
Gonzo
Semper Fidelis

Read my latest post in the Coyote Forum.

VX-6 3-18x50 is what currently sits on my coyote AR. It is the first scope I am truly happy with all around for coyote. Low power for close in and high power for precise sight in and longer ranges. The 6X power change really makes a versatile scope. I also have the illuminated reticle for hunting at night by moonlight.

Ammo is really almost whatever you find that shoots well out of up your rig and there are tons of options. Same thing applies to scopes. I love the bushnell 4200s, and I also like the weaver tacticals, all 3x to 15x range. However, I recently went in for a Vortex Razor which I found to be excellent, but way too heavy for a trek rifle, so I resold and picked up a vortex viper pst ffp 6-24x50. Well, I'm sold. I don't think I'll be buying any other scope from now on. Weight is good, solidly built, turrets are dead on every time, and the glass is excellent. I tend to get myself in a position to shoot out to 300-500 yards and range entry points when we setup our stand. I just write it on a sticky, pop it in a ziplock bag, toss a rock on it so I can see my ranges, and start calling. The extra magnification has come in handy, and I use the offset angled a2 open sights for anything that comes in closer than 100 yards. I can't speak highly enough about the scope and glad I took the chance on it. The illumination has come in handy on a couple of dusk and dawn shots, but I'm not sure it was critical... But nice. Congrats on the new rig and have fun!

Boss

I have a 2.5-10-42 IOR on my RRA it works good up close and still gives 10x for longer shots as far as ammo mine love 69smk from Black Hills have not seen any in a few years but it also will shot Wolf 62gr Hollow points into 3/4 MOA @ 100

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.