Recommendation for Inexpensive Fragile 22 caliber 53/55 gr Bullets

TigerOnThe Hill

Hey guys,
I like to prairie dog hunt w/ specialty pistols. After many years of pd hunting, my "battery" is beginning to take shape, largely depending on the wind. When the wind is mild, my #1 gun will be my 20 VarTarg w/ a McGoewn barrel a in a Howa Mini Action and 32 gr bullets. As the wind picks up, I'll turn to the an XP-100 in 223 Remington Ackley w/ 50 gr bullets. That brings me to my question. When the wind gets more difficult, I'll use a Nosler Custom Handgun in 22 Nosler w/ 53/55 gr bullets. Last year about the only 55 gr bullet I could find was the Varmageddon plastic tip. It's a good bullet that pleases me, but my inventory is getting low and their price has increased. I'll admit to having a big streak of "cheap." I'd like a bullet that's fragile (muzzle velocity will be about 3200-3300 fps) w/o costing much. Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra Blitz Kings have really gotten expensive and are hard to find. The 55 gr Hornady V-Max has worked well for me. Price wise it's a little less than the Varmageddon. Contenders I've not used include the Speer TNT, SX and Spitzer (cheapest) as well as the Hornady Spire Point. Previously I've been dissatisfied w/ the accuracy of Dogtown bullets from Midway. So what bullet(s) would you recommend? Is there an inexpensive "diamond in the rough" here or should I just start saving my money??

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I've read many good reports on the Speer TNT bullets and the price is usually as good as it gets. I use V-Max bullets most of the time and you pay only a little more. The V-Max are usually easy to find.

For accuracy, I like Sierra 52-53gr match bullets and they kill groundhog quickly but don't have the explosive effect of V-Max and similar fragile bullets.

Look at Varmint Nightmare from Mid South shooters supply . 2000 for $239.99 in stock . I love them . Shoot them out of my 22 Nosler AR, 222 Magnum AI Contender Carbine and a 220 Swift Ruger NO.1.

Midway also has seconds of Horn. VMaxes at decent prices. Noslers seconds are very good & usually decent prices. I'm also a handgun only hunter since 1978. Noslers seconds has taken the Dangerous 7 of Africa, over 10,000 groundhogs & several thousand deer. They are just as good as first run. Just don't get their lower quality bullet (Cs & Ds). They have defects.

Thx for the good suggestions, guys. I'm going to start w/ the 55 gr TNT, 53 gr V-Max and 55 gr Speer Spitzer. It's my understanding the Varmint Nightmare is Midsouth's version of the Midway Dogtown (both made by Nosler). It's prob just my guns, but I've been disappointed w/ Dogtown bullets. Doc, I'm also a fan of Midway's blemish and second bullets. In fact, I just finished working up a 22 Noslerload using 55 gr V-max bullets w/ a cannelure; since they're seconds, the box said Midway. Regardless, they're V-Maxes w/ a gray tip instead of red. đź‘Ť