Recommendation for 30.06 - 180 grain

why such heavy bullets for elk? anything over 165 isn't needed.

Get a ballistic program like Exball or Quickload or one of the online programs and start comparing loads with different bullet weights. Heavy bullets fly better and carry more energy down range. I have taken a pile of elk with the 150gr Hornady Spire point but would not attempt a 650 yard shot with that bullet but would not hesitate to do so with the 190gr Berger using a tuned up 06.

Here is my post from another site.

"
I have not found the copper bullets performance that stellar. Of course my data base is small. I have killed two elk with the 160 TSX, one 100 yards the other a measured 330. Both well hit from of a 7mm STW, but both took an extra shot to anchor. I really am not used to putting a bullet tight behind the near shoulder, exiting out the far side in front of the off shoulder and watch them walk away. That does not happen with a 180 Partition. I have also recovered 1 TSX, after two elk kills, and only 4 PT's after 50 years of hunting them. I recently spent a fair amount of time and $ finding a bullet/ powder combination for that STW that would launch Nosler bullets accurately. Was able to get the 175PT and the 160AB both shooting well with two separate powders. If the mono's out preformed the PT I would be using them . I care little about what brand comes out of the barrel but I do care about how it works "

Loading Accubond with H-4350 on higher end not past Speer # 14 book loads, Win brass cut
primer pockets to true cut flash hole on inside. Seated the bullet five thousands off rifling.
Seated WLR primers tried the 210M but did get better groups in a 22" Featherweight Mod 70.
2762 FPS overall average.
Groups have been 5/8-7/8" in this rifle. With a Tikka stainless standard barrel shoots at 7/8"
in groups if I do my part.
With any rifle loads my vary so work up your loads......
Did some test loads with Reloader 17 and 22 last year was very happy with RL-17 but the
H-4350 is a standard and will do more reloading with the RL-17 this year, the loads
ran 80 - 100 fps faster than with H-4350.......
Many good loads posted ..............

I will say this, I had the occasion to be present for a hunt in New Mexico this year. There were 3 in my party, 2 shooting 06', and one &mm Rem Mag ( Me ). All of us were lucky enough to harvest animals. One 06' was shooting the 180 grain Grand Slam, upon inspection, this animal was quite dead, the second shooter was sporting the Federal Fusion 06' load in the 180 grain. Again, this animal was very dead, the last animal was harvested with my 7mm Rem Mag and a 168 grain berger VLD over RE-22. My animal as well, was dead. I would conclude that the "deadness" of these animals was due to shot placement, and that all projectiles had been substantially adequate. :)

Of the 4 30/Otters I've owned,all liked 180gr bullets. Actually,they prefered them over any other weight. I load them on the warm side and that's where they really start to shoot well. Nosler PTs,Hornady Spire pnts,Grand Slams,Hot Cores,Ballistic tips and Combined Tech Ballistic Silvertips. Most over a stiff charge of IMR 4350 or RL22. The 4350 back int the 1980s and 90s,and RL22 later on. If I had to carry only one rifle,of non-magnum proportions,it would be an Otter Six stoked with 180gr Nosler Partitions.

As a new poster here, I really enjoyed reading this entire thread, especially since I just rebarreled my Savage from 338 Wm to 30-06, so it could be a more all round useful rifle, and not have to worry about it taking my shoulder off as well as the animals. I really didn't mind the recoil the little bit I shot it, but is is too much for these small CA mulies.

I just finished loading up a bunch of Barnes 168gr TTSX's and am waiting till I get a chance to get to the range for accuracy/velocity testing.

Just ran across this old thread.

Jim, how did the H4831 turn out for you? I am shooting it even with lighter bullets in the 165-8 grain class and getting great results. It isn't as efficient (takes more grains of powder) as some of the faster burning powders like Varget, which I have had really good luck with, but it is very consistent! I like it a lot.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.