30.06 plenty gun for elk?

Blur - assuming you are asking me. I have seen a couple shot with the 280, it worked just fine. i saw the one the girl shot with John Burns, with the SPECIAL LR .243 it worked just fine. the 7mm-08, especially with a premium bullet like a tsx or ttsx seems ok. . What i see is: if you live in PA and can go out your back door and shoot a deer (100-200lb) ; it is a LOT different than if you live in houston and paid 7.5k to hunt in sask canada and the deer are 350 pounds. the same goes for elk.

The 7mm-08 is a real up and coming round that many are starting kids and women on, as well as for their own more experienced use. It is definitely a lot better round for an elk size critter than a .243, but is not up to the 30-06 ballistics. With a good bullet and kept under under 300 yards or so, I would certainly use it over anything smaller.

Hi guys,
I know this may have already been beat to death but having killed an elk just a few days ago, I wanted to bring this up. This is my first time posting and while I am not brand new to long range shooting, I am new to long range hunting.

So, I killed a young cow with a 30.06. The cartridge load was: Nslr comp 168 gr pushed by 59.0gr of Rl 19. The range was about 40 yards. It was a good hit with the bullet punching through the left side of the ribs and stopping at the back of the hide on the right side. (So didn't go through and through).

So, I guess what I am afraid of is that at longer range the bullet might not penetrate if it didn't go through the other side of the hide. Also, this bullet was basically a FMJ, so what would've happened if it was a controlled expansion hunting bullet? So how far would a 30.06 may be effective on elk(cow/ bull)? I am thinking about coming up with a new load with Berger VLDs and IMR 4350 but I am wondering if I need a new elk gun! Has anyone shot an elk with a 30.06 past 500 yards? If so, what was your experience?

Ranthon- you do not say what rifle or how it shoots at 500 yards . you proved that bullet will work , but i would use a different bullet for sure. you can get good brass for both the 30-06 and 300 wm. i have some rifles in each caliber. you can load a 300wm down to 30-06 velocities. but the opposite is not true. i have tried finding more federal high energy factory ammo (30-06TT4) and can't. T he 30-06 is not offered in a sendero . it should be along with the 6.5-284 hope you got another tag this year. ron

From reading material, the .243 is effective due to it's Hydrostatic shock. Not the weight of the projectile. Again from reading material, the .243 does more damage than a lot of the bigger cartridges. gun)

From reading material, the .243 is effective due to it's Hydrostatic shock. Not the weight of the projectile. Again from reading material, the .243 does more damage than a lot of the bigger cartridges. gun)

Don't do too much reading, as there are as many theories on a lot of ballistics stuff out there as there are writers. What you mentioned is common in all projectiles and the amount depends on a number of things INCLUDING the weight of the projectile. Whoever writes that it doesn't needs to go back to the drawing board and learn before they consider themselves an expert and write an article.

I apologize I. Ad vane for being a smart ***** but I believe this thread is about 30-06 not .243

I apologize I. Ad vane for being a smart ***** but I believe this thread is about 30-06 not .243

WYO- I believe the OP has what the info he needs . TWOdogs - there are elk in oregon what caliber do you hunt them with? Not sure what state Blur is in. use what you want when you hunt elk . Obviously the girl with the .243 in the vid clip took an elk. Not your average shot. Not that many folks have the rifle ,scope , ammo , rifle building skill, precision ammo a dnlong range shooting experience that John Burns does.

It cracks me up every time that video gets drug up someone goes into a tail spin over it!! It's just a freaking elk, just put a bullet through it's lungs or heart that opens and makes it to the other side and be done with it!

It cracks me up every time that video gets drug up someone goes into a tail spin over it!! It's just a freaking elk, just put a bullet through it's lungs or heart that opens and makes it to the other side and be done with it!

Thats' very easy for you to say with your many years of experience! Do you really think it's ethical to put a person that's never even shot at a target or big game animal behind a rifle that she's never shot and let her bang away at an animal at dang near 700 yards? If you do, I have to say I really disagree and so do hundreds of others that saw it and took him to task over letting her do it! It was nothing but a stunt to sell his equipment and nothing more and you darn well know it. I'm really surprised as a long range shooter/hunter that you would appear to justify such a thing when she had never even shot at a long range target before that attempt. IMHO that is exactly the type of stuff that makes others against this up and coming sport!

I learned a long time ago not to argue with someone about killing elk when your standing there looking at a dead elk.
One round down like the little gal said, it was her shot and John was taking responsibility to coach her and the elk died before she hit the ground. There is nothing to argue about, dead elk is dead elk!!

Whatever, but I guess after that response and reading your tagline it tells me all I need to know as far as how you look at hunting!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.