Recommendation for 30.06 - 180 grain

Scot E

190gr Bergers Hunting VLD seated .070 off with 26 inch barrel 1/2 MOA @ 350 yards.....58gr H4831 2680fps @ 4000 ft elevation. Was getting around 2700fps with the 200gr Accubond but could not get them dialed in. Will fool with the Accubond more this summer as I think it kills a little better. Have not taken enough animals with either to really know for certain though.

Scot E

190gr Bergers Hunting VLD seated .070 off with 26 inch barrel 1/2 MOA @ 350 yards.....58gr H4831 2680fps @ 4000 ft elevation. Was getting around 2700fps with the 200gr Accubond but could not get them dialed in. Will fool with the Accubond more this summer as I think it kills a little better. Have not taken enough animals with either to really know for certain though.

Thanks for the info. I haven't played too much with anything over 180 grains. The only negative that I have run into with the 30'06 as a long range rig is that many of the bullets need impact velocities at 1800 or higher which starts to cause problems at longer distances. It is one of the reasons I have stuck with the 165-8 grainers but I may have to play with the high BC 190's and see how they compare. The '06 is an underrated player for LR shots out to around 6-800 yards.

Scot E.

Thanks for the info. I haven't played too much with anything over 180 grains. The only negative that I have run into with the 30'06 as a long range rig is that many of the bullets need impact velocities at 1800 or higher which starts to cause problems at longer distances. It is one of the reasons I have stuck with the 165-8 grainers but I may have to play with the high BC 190's and see how they compare. The '06 is an underrated player for LR shots out to around 6-800 yards.

Scot E.

Scot E

I hope the original poster doesn't mind us knocking this around but it is relevant to the original post.

Your right about the 06 running out of gas with the big bullets but man it's an 06. Easy to shoot doesn't need a brake and accurate as hell. Highly underrated today! Ammo everywhere if needed.

Exbal has the 190gr load doing elk out to about 650 yards...runs out of energy using the 1500fp thingy and deer out to 700+.....drops below the 1800fps. I pretty much have put a max on this load at 650 yards or so. Depends on how excited I get :-}.

Good stuff guys. You have brought up some ideas that I need to consider if the 180 grain deepcurls dont pan out for me. I will do more load testing on Thursday. Mike

I'm also a Hornady believer and use 117 grain BTSPs in my 25-06 for antelope. I use the 150 grainer BTSPs in my 30-06s for mulies and whitetails, but move up to their Interbond in 165 if I want to go for elk.

Scot E.

With the loads I have been using I have found that the impact velocity is not a problem for the 200 grain bullets. The typically higher BC of the 200 grain bullets will run down the 180s and they will hit 1800 FPS at nearly the same distance in many cases. This is my experience with the Accubonds.

Grains Muzzle 650yds

180 2820FPS 1746FPS/1219KE
200 2720FPS 1798FPS/1436KE

I am basing the 650 yard figures off the published BC and a ballistics calculator not actual measured numbers so there some error there admittedly.

With the loads I have been using I have found that the impact velocity is not a problem for the 200 grain bullets. The typically higher BC of the 200 grain bullets will run down the 180s and they will hit 1800 FPS at nearly the same distance in many cases. This is my experience with the Accubonds.

Grains Muzzle 650yds

180 2820FPS 1746FPS/1219KE
200 2720FPS 1798FPS/1436KE

I am basing the 650 yard figures off the published BC and a ballistics calculator not actual measured numbers so there some error there admittedly.

Are those 30'06 velocities?

I ran some numbers based on the velocity I get with the 165's and what Jim gets with the 190 gr VLD's. The results are below with these parameters, 650 yards, 50 degrees, 50% humidity, 25.8 station pressure (approximately 4000 feet).

165gr 85.9 drop 29.2 wind 1860 fps 1267 ft lb
190 gr 93.2 drop 26 wind 1858 fps 1455 ft lb

I was a little surprised the 190's didn't do better. I think there just isn't enough umph in the '06 to get the increased performance that the 190's could give. Still excellent performance though and I would be comfortable at 650 yards with these loads assuming accuracy is there.

Scot E.

Are those 30'06 velocities?

I ran some numbers based on the velocity I get with the 165's and what Jim gets with the 190 gr VLD's. The results are below with these parameters, 650 yards, 50 degrees, 50% humidity, 25.8 station pressure (approximately 4000 feet).

165gr 85.9 drop 29.2 wind 1860 fps 1267 ft lb
190 gr 93.2 drop 26 wind 1858 fps 1455 ft lb

I was a little surprised the 190's didn't do better. I think there just isn't enough umph in the '06 to get the increased performance that the 190's could give. Still excellent performance though and I would be comfortable at 650 yards with these loads assuming accuracy is there.

Scot E.

Yes they are 30-06 velocities with RL17. For me RL17 velocities are approx 100 FPS faster than anything else I have tried. I am using a savage 116 and I am also loading to just under 65KPSI according to quickload.

I just realized my range was 675 yards not 650 as I had posted and the altitude was 1000ft on my ballistics table.

One other thing I like about the 200 grain bullets that the 1800 FPS minimum impact velocituy and approx 1500 lbs/KE (My mimimun KE for elk) pretty much coincide whereas the light bullet are lacking a little in KE IMHO.

Yes they are 30-06 velocities with RL17. For me RL17 velocities are approx 100 FPS faster than anything else I have tried. I am using a savage 116 and I am also loading to just under 65KPSI according to quickload.

I just realized my range was 675 yards not 650 as I had posted and the altitude was 1000ft on my ballistics table.

One other thing I like about the 200 grain bullets that the 1800 FPS minimum impact velocituy and approx 1500 lbs/KE (My mimimun KE for elk) pretty much coincide whereas the light bullet are lacking a little in KE IMHO.

How are your ES numbers and temp sensitivity with R17? Those are good numbers but I am not willing to give up either of the above to get it.

Scot E.

How are your ES numbers and temp sensitivity with R17? Those are good numbers but I am not willing to give up either of the above to get it.

Scot E.

I cannot remember my ES off hand but the 200 grain loads shot between 5/8" and 3/4" the last time I was at the range. With the 180s I shot the first group into a 3/8" cloverleaf and nothing larger than 3/4" the rest of the time. I remember the 180s ES being the lowest between the 168, 180, and 200 grainers. I actually averaged 3012 FPS with the 168 grain BT and 3/4" groups but would get a flyer occasionally.

I am on my 9th loading with the brass for the 200 grain loads and the primers still are tight. The brass is still useable but I am using new brass the next time I load just to play it safe. I dont trust myself to know when cases are really shot out.

Also I cannot speak to the temperature sensitivity since all my load development is done in the summer. I can say that RL17s composition is completely different than R19, and RL22. Its is actually made by a european company for Alliant and shares little if anything design wise with the other "temp sensitive" RL powders.

Scot E.

This one of the main reasons I have been working with H4831. Hunting season here can run from 70 degrees to 5 so a powder that is not real sensitive is important to me. The Berger load that I use was developed 30-45 degrees. Shot a bunch during the summer 70-90 and saw no pressure signs and it's a warm load.

Scot E.

This is from the manufactures website so take it with a grain of salt:

Rifle Powders

reloder_17_lg.jpg

Smokeless Short Magnum Rifle

With Reloder 17 reloaders have a powder that meters easy and consistently while providing maximum velocity even in extreme weather. This consistent performance is what reloaders have come to expect from Alliant Powder - and Reloder 17 proves worthy.
  • Designed for short magnum case capacity
  • Similar burn speed to IMR 4350
  • Meters easily and consistently
  • Consistent maximum velocity in extreme weather conditions
Principal Purpose: Short Magnum Loads
Secondary Uses: Medium Rifle Loads

They did not make temp sensitive claims on RL19 or RL22 powders for what is is worth.

I have a 7mm RM Sendero that I had purchased specifcally for my Idaho trips. I want to put a Nightforce on it and I just wont be able to make the purchase, load work, and field practice, before mid October. Next year though............

My 7mm Rem Sendero shoots so well with factory ammo that it only took one (1) range session to get it figured out. It's way down my list of loads to develop once my reloading gets going.

Zero it at 200, calculate drops, start hitting whatever you shoot at. Quite a nice rifle. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.