Recomended bullet weight for ELK

338 bruce:

Just when I was beginning to think the 300 SMK might be just the ticket for big game you post your results. If this bullet won't expand on elk at 100 to 600 yds, don't see how it will work at longer range. You are talking the 300 SMK, right?

What does everyone else think? Am I missing something here???

Hell, I'm totally confused now!!!!

Last edited:
I use the same approach. For me, the 250's shoot flatter than the 300's under 1000 yards, and really, that's pretty much my self-imposed limit for field work, so the 250's do it all for me. I haven't considered the 225's, but if I felt I needed somewhat flatter trajectory, I would go to my 300 RUM and 180 accudbonds (very flat @ 3300 fps out ot 800). For me, the beauty of the 338 is the big slugs (250+) and distances over 800 yards.

I have driven the 250 SMKs to 3197 FPS and even at this speed the wind drift is still considerably less with the 300 SMK at 2800 FPS thus my preference, and they hit much harder as well

yes it was the smk 300 (at 2740 fps), I would love to use this bullet but I was very dissapointed. If you hit A bone it seems to do ok but I hunt for meat and I like to miss the bones to save more. this bullet will shoot 3" 3 shot groups at 1000 yds from my 338 sendaro.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.