hunting bullet for elk

Docnoker

Iloaded some 200 accubonds for eik in a Sendero. I used 94.5gr of RL 25. Not pleased at all with groups. Gun shoots 1 in. group at 200 yds. with 94.5 gr. RL 22 behind 168gr. Sierra MK. Will this bullet hold together well enough for an Elk? Leave on trip in ten days, not much time to test. First time forum user.

I am guessing that you have a 300RUM,I ran
into the same problem last year with a friend's gun, I could not make it shoot the
200grainer, it shoot's the scirocco 180gr.
at 3400fps with RL25 into sub half inch group's,the only problem with scirocco's is
that you must weigh them because some lot's
can vary 3to4 gr.from one bullet to another.

Docnoker,

Since you are backed up against the wall time wise, I would pick up a box of 180 gr Partition factory loads and see how your rifle shoots them.

The partition is an old steady standby and generally shoots very well in most rifles. Unfortunately 10 days is not alot of time to do alot of load testing.

I would not recommend the 168 gr Match bullet for use on elk. The heavier match bullets will do better but the 168 is pretty light for what you want to do.

Try the partitions and I bet they shoot well enough to get you easily through this hunt and then you can test loads after you get back with a high B.C. bullet.

Good Shooting and Good Luck!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Docnoker use 86gr of R-22 behind the 200gr Accubond with a Rem. mag primer. It shoots .5 out of my Sendero at a 100 yards!! I clocked them at 3136fps!!

It should not be much more than .75 to 1.0 at 200,250 yards. This is plenty accurate for game the size of Elk at that range. Do not use that 168gr MK for elk if it were for deer i would say ok but elk no way.

If not take Fiftydriver's advice and get a box of factory old faithful partitions in 180 or 200gr I never had a Partition. let me down
wink.gif

Good Luck. Keep us posted

Thank all of you for your suggestions. I especially want to thank Tommy B. I shot the load you suggested today at 100yds. and had 2 bullets in one hole and the other about 3/8in. off. Will try them at 200 tomorrow.

I just put this post under a different topic but it was amied at you docnoker i dident know if you read it or not so here it is again.

Another satisfied customer!! I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm working on two more loads Docnoker I will let you know after I test them. It might be about two weeks or so my rifle is in the shop getting a trigger job done and I just order a new Leupold VX-II 3-9X50 from Midway with the German #4 reticle that I like so much.
The first load is a 220gr MK w/IMR-7828 AND the second is a 180gr Accubond w/R-22 they should shoot good but i will have to wait and see. I like the heavier bullets in this gun/cal. I'm going to kick the crap out of a bear this year with that Accubond!! Talk to ya later.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.