Bullet Weight for New Build

DJSpradley

I am a new member and was wanting to pick the brains of some of you veterans.

I recently bought a RRA Varmint with a 20" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. I am currently using blackhills 68gr BTHP and I am recieving .5 to .75 moa groups at 100 yards and occasionally out to 200 Yards (needing to work on fundamentals a little more) but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this bullet gun combo out to 300 and 400 yards. Or do I need to go to the a 75 grain.

My ultimate goal is to have is set a 200 and to be able to make a 500 yard shot though with my talents 300 to 400 is more realistic but would like to have the option if I can get my skills improved over time.

I am a new member and was wanting to pick the brains of some of you veterans.

I recently bought a RRA Varmint with a 20" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. I am currently using blackhills 68gr BTHP and I am recieving .5 to .75 moa groups at 100 yards and occasionally out to 200 Yards (needing to work on fundamentals a little more) but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this bullet gun combo out to 300 and 400 yards. Or do I need to go to the a 75 grain.

My ultimate goal is to have is set a 200 and to be able to make a 500 yard shot though with my talents 300 to 400 is more realistic but would like to have the option if I can get my skills improved over time.

You didn't say, but it seems likely you're talking about 223 or 5.56. ...in which case, 1:8" should stabilize all but the heaviest bullets.

Unless you're handloading, BC will likely take a back seat to how well your rifle likes some particular factory ammo. This is especially true at 500 yds and with favorable conditions.

My 1:8 twist DPMS carbine likes the BVAC ammo with 69gr SMKs. ...and, the price is right. But, it doesn't get along with the same stuff in 75gr.

The 75 gr bullets may help in shifting winds. But, only if they have good accuracy. I'd be tickled with consistent .75 MOA at 200 yds from my AR.

What do you mainly use the rifle for?

-- richard

Yes it is chambered in the .223
No... not yet handloading and the blackhill 68gr. is the best stuff I can get that doesn't hurt my wallet

As far as use i'm gonna use is for coyotes and prairie dogs out to about 300 (400 if i'm shooting good on that day), but I am wanting to try to get into some small local competitions that may get out to that 500 yard mark just to push my self and to get my self prepared for some larger calibers at longer ranges in the future.

Thanks

You probably just need to find a competition and sign up.

My son just started competing and people have been very helpful.

He'd be a lot farther along had we started sooner.

Depending on the type of competition, you may be very competitive or not so much. But, you won't know until you try.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.