Recomendation on PDA to run Exbal

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by black rifle, Jan 19, 2008.

1. black rifle

black rifle Member

Can anyone give me a recomendation on a pocket pc to run Exbal on? Please give me a brand and model. I am going to try to find a used one on ebay. Thanks

2. mattj

mattj Well-Known Member

Dell Axim X50

I have a Dell Axim X50v (x50 will work fine also). It's plenty for ballistics, and I also pair it with a Bluetooth GPS and use it for navigation. It also does built-in WiFi, so when you're not in the field, you can do email and stuff if you're near a hotspot.

I think it's right in the price-to-performance/features sweet spot

You can buy an upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 for it on ebay for like $10... I recommend doing that.

I also recommend an Otterbox to keep it in to make it water/bomb proof in the field.

FYI, Patagonia Ballistics just released the Mobile version of LoadBase 2.0 -- you get both the Windows and PocketPC version when you buy it. There's a couple little bugs that need to get fixed, but I think I already like it better than Exbal.

3. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

I just bought exbal, and a dell axim x5 pocket pc. it works perfectly together. all thrills no frills. I just put a 2gb sd card in it and went to town. I bought the pocket pc for $60 off e-bay.
    [​IMG]

4. Weda

Weda Guest

Dell Axim X50 or X51.. they are all over ebay.... pretty durable and cheap if you look...

5. nolo263

nolo263 Well-Known Member

I use a zire 72 works pretty good and has a built in camera to take pics of targets or animals. I also use the A-tragmp instead of exbal..

6. JLR

JLR Well-Known Member

This is the same thing that I have. The X5 seemed to be the best bang for the buck that I was able to find. However, you'll find that only 1gb of that sd card is supported:), but you can put an unlimited size cf card if you need it for music, etc.