Recoil

I try to shoot suppressed as much as possible. It's so much less disruptive to the entire shooting experience. You can even hear impacts on game. Less flash, blast and boom and recoil really helps to spot impact. I realize that not every hunt lends itself to that extra barrel length but for me and the areas I hunt it's a no-brainer. Shooting steel or paper? It's like toilet paper, I don't leave the house without it.

I have brakes on all but 2 of my dozen plus rifles. I started with little rifles shooting p dogs so i could see my hits or correct misses. I never shoot from prone, so radial port brakes work just fine. I've also got several that vent to the side. They seem much louder and have more concussion. Vais is a great radial vent brake (no tuning required) and is my favorite (up to 7 RUM).
Some side vent brakes come ready to be tuned to reduce upward flip (Hypertap by Precision Armament is one i have). This one has dimples marked down both top sides. If your rifle flips up and right, just drilll out one dimple at right front and shoot again.
A few months ago Precision Rifle printed an article testing about 30 or so brakes. Very informative and comprehensive.
Enjoy. I love my braked rifles.

I started with a radial brake on my 7mm, it did ok. Reduced recoil but still not that effective on allowing me to see hits.

My300AX I watched the effect when I turned it loose on an aoudad at 160 throwing it in the dirt through the scope with the aid of a small pain killer brake. This was eye opening for me as I had never really seen an impact!

I just recently installed a gen 2 micro bastard on my SPR Ar-15. Recoil wasn't an issue with the comp that came with it just wanted again to be able to effortlessly see impacts.

I don't mind recoil, sometimes it's fun! I just don't want it with my LR/Precision guns

Last edited:
I am a huge 30 cal fan. But Im kind of making a case for the 7mms in the lighter rifles. If your after a 7lb and under rifle that is. I just find that you cant tame down the big 30s when they get that light. I like my 30s in the 8-9 lb range
Great discussion thanks for starting the thread. Practicing mechanics and recoil management is often overlooked. A great rifle build and muzzle device is a huge benefit for sure. In 2017 I decided to get into competitive shooting for more trigger time and fun. The spirit of competing and the variety of courses of fire, stage designs etc. are a fantastic way to improve the ability to see impacts and even get to the point where you can pick up and follow trace to impact. An extra pound or two in the rifle is worth carrying around and there are other places we can cut that weight in our packs to allow for it. For me it's not about winning matches so i shoot as close to the set up I will hunt with when I compete. In August Hornady is sponsoring a match course of fire that we hope catches on. Two weight classes of gun 16Lbs under and 12 Lbs under total weight including bipod, sling mag (less ammo). They also require a power factor for the billet which takes the heavy gun light 6mm out of play. It is geared toward the modern day rifleman Hunter and emphasis on rewarding a well placed first round hit and less points for a follow up "kill".... two misses move on to next target. I will be shooting the same gun that will be used on an antelope hunt the week after.

Way back when none of the guys I hunted with had brakes on any rifle. Then I upset the apple cart by getting a 7mm Magnum. Didn't care for the recoil after shooting a .243 at deer for about 10 years. So, I had the barrel Magna Ported. Made a big difference. Nowadays all my rifles have brakes. I have to be honest and confess that having braked rifles have made me a better shooter as I never even think about recoil anymore.

This is a discussion I think that is worth having. Most of the time I am planning a rifle out with a customer and this topic comes up I am usually looking at it a little differently. Any able bodied person can handle recoil. Its not about being tough or being able to shoot the rifle well without flinching. Obviously thats a factor but not what Im talking about here. Spotting your hits at long range is very important to me. If you can watch the bullet impact in your scope, you know instantly if the shot was good or you need to hurry up and get another down there. When I shoot a rifle that recoils enough that I cant get back on target to see the impact at 500-600 yards and out, I feel blind. This could be a real problem on a hunt if the animal disappears into the timber and you have no idea how the shot went. Now when we watch the videos of guys shooting these really aggressive brakes saying how easy you can spot your hits with 300 and 338 magnums, its true. If you use a really good brake like a Terminator or Beast and dig the bipod in with a perfect prone position you can spot your hits. I literally have never killed and animal from a position like that. In Montana your shooting up down or your in sage brush or tall grass. So you will most likely be taking a shot from a less than perfect position. You will not be spotting your hits with those heavier calibers. My favorite elk round is still a 30 like the 300 Norma Improved or 30-28 Nosler but I like them a little heavier personally to make them behave. This is just food for thought for when your planning a rifle. Just another way to look at recoil.
I quess I am not much of a hunter as far as hunting goes even though I like to shoot deer. I used to go in the woods for a big buck but got frustrated because couldnt see or shoot very far. Killed a big one while sitting against a tree once and shot it at 70 yards as it was briskly walking. Checked it in, cut the horns off and showed a few people and that was it. I thought that shooting a groundhog at 400-500 yards from a precise rest was really more enjoyable. My woods gun is about 9 lbs and groundhog gun basically a17 lb bench gun. No recoil and can watch the hit in the scope. Wanted to do that with deer so I put together a 30-378 with a big single shot action and 1.450 straight barrel which weighed in at 25 lbs. I chambered two barrels, one with 14" twist for 125 grain bullet at 4050 fps. Another with 12" twist to shoot 180 grains. Both reamers cut with no freebore, kind of hard to get accuracy when bullet jumps 1/4". Neither cartridge produced enough recoil to not see the hit. Even put a brake on the 14 twist barrel and no movement whatsoever and even shot 168 grain very good 1/4" groups. Yes I know thats not hunting! But I have the privelige of two farms to hunt and I will not shoot an animal long range unless I have a precise rest, clear high power scope and no recoil. I guess I am spoiled (or ruined) but enjoy shooting a doe at 752 yards more than a big buck at 70 yards. Also built a 338-378 2" BAT 2" barrel in a heavy 1000 yard gun. At 56 lbs and a brake (which didnt need) 300 mk's at 2900 fps no movement whatsoever but use the 25lb gun most of rhe time with 125 grain or 150 grain and no recoil. No recoil is a very nice thing to have. If I have cake I certainly want to eat it to

I used to hate brakes in any application. I stopped at 300WM because that was the largest I could shoot well without a brake in a 12lb carry rifle. I disliked 1) the concussion, and 2) excess noise. IMHO for range use double hearing protection is required (plugs and muffs).

Then I built a 338 Edge and the brake was mandatory. After a lot of research I went with a Heathen brake on my 14lb Edge. It is not the greatest recoil reducing brake, but it makes the 14lb Edge perfectly comfortable and, due to the 90 degree rear ports, I feel the concussion is MUCH less than more aggressive brakes. IMHO it's the best of both worlds. I typically hunt out West with a partner, and they have commented that my brake is less offending than others to a spotter. I'm rebuilding my 300WM from 12lb to 9-10lb and it will get the same brake.

In smaller rifles my desire for a brake is really a question of use. My 243AI, which I use the most, is not threaded and the round has no need for a brake due to recoil. For deer, I have no need for a brake. However for prairie dogs with the magnification turned up I do have issues spotting shots. So the next barrel will be threaded to brake when I'm using the gun for that purpose.

My 2 most recent builds are my first to have muzzle brakes. One a 6.5 CM and a 7mm RM. Both are notably easier to shoot than other rifles in both calibers w/o brakes. Both brakes are the little bastard mark 3. I am now a convert as even the low recoil 6.5 is notably easier to shoot and stay on target even at high magnification.

I have 2 rifles with muzzle breaks one on a .270 I can see my hits with the scope 6.5x 20 leupold.
2nd rifle 28 Nosler yes more recoil but cant spot my hits .
I shoot both rifles the same but the 28 Nosler jumps to the left .
Both rifles have different muzzle break designs the 270 has slots 3 on the bottom 4 on the top the 28 Nosler has holes all the way around. My 28 Nosler will shoot sub 1/2 " groups at 100 yards I dont want to loose my accuracy but would still like to see my hits . So what do ? Do you buy a new muzzle break or just deal with not seeing your hits ? A d if you buy a new break witch one

Brakes are for sissies 😂

No seriously.... every long range gun has to have a brake, the benefits far out way the cons.

Attachments

• AABB360B-D4AC-4D62-BD79-786E8174AB37.jpeg
    AABB360B-D4AC-4D62-BD79-786E8174AB37.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 110
Great Info Boys ! My Favorite deer Rifle is a Weatherby Ultra Light , in 270 Win! They Come with thin Fluted 24 inch Stainless Krieger barrels! Lots of Muzzle jump shooting from a Rest at the Range , But shooting off my field Tri pod , it's never noticeable ! I don't think that Skinny muzzle can wear a Muzzle break!

I once had an ultralight .338 win mag built. About a 6 lb gun. I had the builder put on a little radial brake that matched the contour of that thin barrel... a 1 taper maybe? Shooting 250 grain bullets was comfortable to shoot. Unfortunately the rifle had issues and the whole transaction got sour. Won't go back there but would like to know who can make a matching contour brake for an ultralight.284 I'm shooting. Recoil is no issue but spotting hits is not happening.

That's interesting as I have a Polaroid picture right when the rifle goes off (in my mind). I know if I hit or missed followed up with the expected sound. I am now in the process of having a 300Norma improves built extremely light with no break. I'm curious to see if this rifle works as my previous where I really know if I hit before the bullet gets there.

I shoot a custom 28 nosler, all set up with a long bipod it weighs in at 12lbs. Having a machinist building it I opted for a muzzle break. I shoot a 175 hornady ELD-X with 92 grains of H US869.This rifle is a pleaser to shoot, I don't flinch at all and I can see my bullets hit at long range. I shot a 7mmag for 40 years and it could really hurt at the range and I did get scoped once while shooting a big WT on the move. I think a muzzle break would have been great on the 7mmag. I'm sold on muzzle breaks but hearing protection is a must

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.