Recoil lug bedding?

Goobie270

What are your thoughts on procedures to bed the recoil lug on a hs stock? I've heard to tape the lug front, bottom and sides, or to put release agent on the lug and set it into the epoxy so it's a tight fit, I'm not to worried about it being hard to put back together cuz once it's in there it's there for good. I just want the best method for accuracy. Thanks.

Put tape on the bottom of the lug and an 1/8th up the side which keeps it from bottoming out, I bed them tight since that's kinda the point!

I use 2 layers of masking tape around the bottom and up the sides. It's a tight fit.

Ok what would be the epoxy of choice?, I've heard of people using Jb weld, but idk if that any good, I'd like a quality epoxy.

Part of the point to bedding the lug is to control the torque so don't tape the sides all the way up or you loose that stability in your bedding. The top two epoxies are Devcon and MarineTex, I find MarineTex easier to use and less shrinkage plus you can get it in small amounts that will do one action and keeps the mess down.

Part of the point to bedding the lug is to control the torque so don't tape the sides all the way up or you loose that stability in your bedding. The top two epoxies are Devcon and MarineTex, I find MarineTex easier to use and less shrinkage plus you can get it in small amounts that will do one action and keeps the mess down.

Not to argue, but you don't want the bedding to touch the sides of the lug and put torque on the sides and push. Only the rear of the lug is suppose to contact the stock.

Not to argue, but you don't want the bedding to touch the sides of the lug and put torque on the sides and push. Only the rear of the lug is suppose to contact the stock.
Nope, for best accuracy you need the side tight, if you don't then you get movement, you can mark an action and shoot it with the lug sides not bedded and you'll see evidence of the action torquing. Every benchrest rifle I've ever seen has the lug bedded tight on all sides.

Nope, for best accuracy you need the side tight, if you don't then you get movement, you can mark an action and shoot it with the lug sides not bedded and you'll see evidence of the action torquing. Every benchrest rifle I've ever seen has the lug bedded tight on all sides.

I've seen them done every way. I have heard more guys bed them the way I do it, so that's why I have never changed and it works so why change now haha.

I've seen them done every way. I have heard more guys bed them the way I do it, so that's why I have never changed and it works so why change now haha.
I used to do it that way also but if you have the opportunity with something like a 300 Win or RUM bed it loose and make a little mark on the action and shoot it, you'll find the action is twisting.

I used to do it that way also but if you have the opportunity with something like a 300 Win or RUM bed it loose and make a little mark on the action and shoot it, you'll find the action is twisting.
If the 300 WM or RUM wont convince you of twisting issues, try a 300gr 338 over 2800 FPS and then check. I ran those out of a B&C Duramaxx and actually split the stock down the middle using a hard hold and F-Class style bipod. That's a lot of twist.

What are your thoughts on procedures to bed the recoil lug on a hs stock? I've heard to tape the lug front, bottom and sides, or to put release agent on the lug and set it into the epoxy so it's a tight fit, I'm not to worried about it being hard to put back together cuz once it's in there it's there for good. I just want the best method for accuracy. Thanks.
If you aren't after a tight fight there's not much point in bedding it.

I've heard from, read, and learned from the best in the business and every rifle I bed has the recoil lug bedded tight, including both sides.

Energy will find the path of least resistance so inducing movement to the sides by leaving them loose just doesn't make any sense at all.

This thread is making me rethink the recoil lug bedding I just did on my 338 Lapua.
I used tape on the sides, bottom and front of the lug. I'm going to bed it tight.
The action twist/tourque has me concerned about chasing accuracy..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.