Recoil lug bedding

Chrisvierling

I have a b&c m40 stock for a remington 700, I was wondering if bedding just the recoil lug would be good enough or should I bed the entire action?

Chrisvierling,

Lug bedding is certainly a possibility but it is not the end all with the aluminum block stocks. The machining of the block and the fit of the round action Remington M700 can be tenuous at best. The Remington tube is not always perfectly round and the block in the stock is not always machined in a perfect 'V' to hold the round actions.

The best bet is to bed the entire action and have it done and over. Be sure that whoever does the bedding that it is stress-free. Obviously some have bedded just the lug and gotten acceptable accuracy for their uses. I'm suggesting that you go for the best not just average.

Regards.

I did just the lug and rear tang on my gun and it shoots great. If u are going for ultimate precision then bed the whole thing but the gain will be extremely minor

Chrisvierling,

It doesn't change my answer since I concentrate on doing the best first instead of trying to qualify potential accuracy and take the chance of falling short. Besides, it's not that much more work to do it completely from the start.

Regards.

If your stock has a full length bedding block there's no need to bed the hole action. U are just wasting money on an expensive stock. They have the bedding block for that reason. Bedding the whole action isn't a bad idea but, isn't needed with a good aftermarket stock like what u have. Unless your action fits in there extremely sloppy,which I sought it does than I would just do the lug. You will get great accuracy out of it and u won't be disappointed.

harleybug,

Experience with this style of stock tells me differently. I bed probably 50 or more of these a year and most if not all do not fit the Remington round action perfectly due to the reasons I state in my first post. Neither are they 'expensive' by comparison to the mainstream of best stocks available on the market today. They fall into the low to middle area by street price. Better and best stocks like the McMillan and Manners can run pretty near $1,000 per stock when getting bell and whistles.

The point is that neither the cost nor the time involved in doing the entire action bed is meaningful. In fact it's insignificant as a whole but can improve the performance without having to revisit the process a second time. It's more efficient to to do it all at once and it will not detract from the performance.

Regards.

Chrisvierling,

It doesn't change my answer since I concentrate on doing the best first instead of trying to qualify potential accuracy and take the chance of falling short. Besides, it's not that much more work to do it completely from the start.

Regards.

couldn't agree more. E

I have a b&c m40 stock for a remington 700, I was wondering if bedding just the recoil lug would be good enough or should I bed the entire action?

The whole action. Get the Full Benefit from a bedding job.....gun) I don't care if it has a bedding block or not. I've done it both ways, full lenght bedding is ALWAYS best.

I never said it would give less performance. I did say there is nothing wrong with it and if u read my post it says if the action has a real sloppy fit then bed the whole thing. I did not have a bad fit on my m40 stock so I did not bed the entire action. I just did the lug and rear tang. Mine fits tight with no movement so I didn't need to bed the entire action. He's asking in the post if it's worth it and it can be but doesn't have to be done. Out of my three rifles 2 are lug bedded and one is full bedded and there is no improvements at all. Bedding the entire receiver is not the only way to go.

I have a '99 model year sendero 300 wby with the HS stock and also a B&C stock. Both stocks performed far better after full bedding with Probed 2000. Just an fyi, I went past the barrel lug on both had to remove the bedding back to the lug to regain my accuracy

harleybug,

In the end, of course you're entitled to your opinion. The difference is between 3 bedding jobs and hundreds of all types of rifles for years. You can believe that there's no movement between the action and the bedding block but I doubt you used a precision fixture and a 10th indicator (1/10,000") to actually measure and check for the smallest of movements as the action screws are loosened and tightened. There is also the level of acceptance, the amount of change that we are capable of recognizing. There are shooters who can be satisfied with 1" groups or even slightly less whereas others are capable of shooting single hole groups that measure in the 0.100's. Some rifles will always be 1" rifles but sometimes a 3/4" rifle can shoot small groups in the hands of an extremely good shooter.

Best of luck with all your projects.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts