Bedding recoil lug

Brownells acra-release aerosol is by far the easiest to use. Kinda pricey but lasts a very long time.

I like acraglass gel for bedding compound. Easy to mix as you use even portions, colors easily and is lighter than others. I add aluminum or stainless powder on high recoil rifles for added strength.

I started out with the aerosols but it went on uneven and the release agent patterns could be seen in the bedding. I went to Kiwi and that gave very good results but it ran out fast. I have since switched to straight paraffin wax you get at the grocery store in bars for canning. I use the bar and grind it on or use a towel and wipe it on the bar and then wax everything up just like car wax. You can also soften it a bit with a torch so it will soak into the towels better. I use the torch and drip it into blind holes and then when done use the same torch to melt it right back out. I then buff it off to a high gloss shine. Now my bedding jobs look like glass. Marine Tex looks like black chrome.

I guess it does a fair amount of guns. I would guess 10-15 rifles per can. Kiwi starts to dry out and crumble. We were using the torch to remelt it and make it easier to apply to the cloths and that's when it struck us the idea to try paraffin.

Since we discovered paraffin, one bar is now over a year old and we have not even used a quarter of it. It's so easy to work with and the results are second to none. After you wax up your parts good be sure to buff them out to a nice shine. You can melt it and dip your bolts in it and the ability to get it out of blind holes with a little heat make clean up a breeze. We will never use modeling clay again.

Minwax Gloss Paste wax. Been using the same can for years, barely tapped. Rub it on wherever you don't want it to stick, buff. I use Devcon and it makes a smooth mold every time.

Larry
Tinkerer

Pam works as good as vegetable oil. It is messy and leaves voids all over the place where the oil is displaced too. It also mixes with the bedding and will make it very brittle. Avoid Pam and One Shot case lube for the same reasons. You want your release agent as hard and thin as possible. Anything foreign you see on your action will show up in your bedding. Sure sign of a hack.

After i posted that, i thought it might act like that, I've never used it for anything but cooking, well, my wife hasn't.

I ordered some McLube 1700L mold release agent from Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc. and it works great! Three coats letting it dry between each coat. I use Devcon aluminum putty also at Chad's recommendation as it will not rust.

Pam works as good as vegetable oil. It is messy and leaves voids all over the place where the oil is displaced too. It also mixes with the bedding and will make it very brittle. Avoid Pam and One Shot case lube for the same reasons. You want your release agent as hard and thin as possible. Anything foreign you see on your action will show up in your bedding. Sure sign of a hack.

Yep, I tried PAM. It's waaay too thick. Voids and looks like crap.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts