Rechambering a .260rem to 6.5-284norma

tyewabell

I'm in the process of trying to decide what direction to go with my next rifle. I recently sold a cooper 280ai in order to fund a gun safe purchase and will use the remaining funds from the safe purchase to buy and outfit my next rifle. That said, it will be a budget rifle, and the current plan is to buy a tikka superlite in 260rem and eventually or immediately have it rechambered to 6.5-284norma.

Has anyone out there done this to a tikka or another factory rifle? If so, were there any major issues involved or was it a relatively straight forward change?

Not worth the time or expense !!!! The .260 will for all intents and purposes do everything the 6.5/284 will do and they are not as finicky to say the least! You'd better think before leaping on this change. Not to mention brass availability and that's another story!!

I am thinking, hence this thread. What makes the 6.5-284 finicky? I've never heard it considered that, just always noticed a lot of praise for the accuracy of the caliber.

The 6.5-284 is also not a barrel-friendly cartridge. The .260 will last much longer.

Personally, I would build a .260 AI.

Also, does that Tikka even have a long enough mag box to allow you to seat the long heavy high-BC bullets for maximum cartridge potential?

If you want to build a semi-custom, you're best bet would be to find a cheap used Rem 700 BDL long action in .270 Win or .30-06 and build your 6.5-284 Norma on that.

All tikkas are currently built on the same action, so a mag for a 30-06 in place of the mag that comes with the gun will correct that issue. Any other issue can be remedied with a separate bolt stop. I've owned a 280AI, but I think the minor gain of an AI vs the gain of a 6.5-284 is a big enough difference to go with the latter, if I even decide to do anything.

I have no interest in a build, as this is being done on a budget. If I was going to do a custom build, I'd rather just buy another cooper, which is what the 280AI I just sold was. It shot anywhere from .25-.33 moa if I did my part with my reloads, and for the money, I think it's the best "custom" option available.

The answer to your question Mud, is yes... With a LA magazine and Bolt Stop it will allow out to 3.4" oal I believe

Didn't know...I've never owned a Tikka. Had no clue they only offer the 1 length action, and use modded mags to make up for the cartridge differences. Good info to know.

Didn't know...I've never owned a Tikka. Had no clue they only offer the 1 length action, and use modded mags to make up for the cartridge differences. Good info to know.

Not too many people do know it... It's nice if you're doing a high BC bullet seated long in a short case... Long action magazine and bolt stop = plenty of room to seat em out where they like to run! Only disadvantage to that is the Long Action cartridges are limited in overall length (the 3.4" oal I referenced earlier, but Mountain Tactical has a new DBM in the works that will allow 3.600" in an AICS mag)... So the 30-06, 300WM etc would need to be single fed when loaded long as the action itself limits the overall length. You can either shave material off the mags to allow longer COALs as you mentioned, or you can buy the long action caliber magazine (I'd rather buy a new mag than start filing on a $70 mag to make it work lol) :Dgun)

I'm in the process of trying to decide what direction to go with my next rifle. I recently sold a cooper 280ai in order to fund a gun safe purchase and will use the remaining funds from the safe purchase to buy and outfit my next rifle. That said, it will be a budget rifle, and the current plan is to buy a tikka superlite in 260rem and eventually or immediately have it rechambered to 6.5-284norma.

Has anyone out there done this to a tikka or another factory rifle? If so, were there any major issues involved or was it a relatively straight forward change?

The primary advantage of the increased capacity of the 6.5-284 over the .260 class cartridges is that slower burning powders can be used to generate more velocity. In order to take advantage of the slower burning powders, barrel length is critical.

After going to the Tikka website, I don't see a single model offered with a barrel longer than 24". Most of their models offer 22" barrels or shorter. The 6.5-284 doesn't offer a particularly large gain over the .260 class cartridges to begin with. In short barreled rifles, re-chambering a .260 to 6.5-284 is a waste of time and money.

My advice is to take one of three courses of action:

1. If Tikkas are your preferred rifles, go with one in .260, with the longest factory barrel you can get, load for it, and enjoy it for what it is. The bonus with the Tikkas is that you get an 8 twist factory barrel, where most others offer a 9 twist for the 6.5's.

2. If you are more interested in the 6.5-284 chambering than you are in the Tikka rifles, buy a Savage Long Range Hunter and be done with it.

3. If you truly want a fast 6.5, skip the 6.5-284 and go looking for a .264 Win Mag. I own a recent production Winchester Model 70 in the .264 Win Mag and that is what I would recommend in this cartridge, though there are other good choices out there. Like any high-stepping 6.5, the .264 needs at least a 26" barrel to reach its potential.

The primary advantage of the increased capacity of the 6.5-284 over the .260 class cartridges is that slower burning powders can be used to generate more velocity. In order to take advantage of the slower burning powders, barrel length is critical.

After going to the Tikka website, I don't see a single model offered with a barrel longer than 24". Most of their models offer 22" barrels or shorter. The 6.5-284 doesn't offer a particularly large gain over the .260 class cartridges to begin with. In short barreled rifles, re-chambering a .260 to 6.5-284 is a waste of time and money.

My advice is to take one of three courses of action:

1. If Tikkas are your preferred rifles, go with one in .260, with the longest factory barrel you can get, load for it, and enjoy it for what it is. The bonus with the Tikkas is that you get an 8 twist factory barrel, where most others offer a 9 twist for the 6.5's.

2. If you are more interested in the 6.5-284 chambering than you are in the Tikka rifles, buy a Savage Long Range Hunter and be done with it.

3. If you truly want a fast 6.5, skip the 6.5-284 and go looking for a .264 Win Mag. I own a recent production Winchester Model 70 in the .264 Win Mag and that is what I would recommend in this cartridge, though there are other good choices out there. Like any high-stepping 6.5, the .264 needs at least a 26" barrel to reach its potential.

Thanks. Main reason for the tikka is the light weight and great accuracy, as most of my hunting with a rifle will be done off my back while in the west. The longest barrel available is a 22.5", and your comment on the lack of length taking advantage of the increased powder capacity was my main concern I had. I'm fine with staying with a 260 for the foreseeable future, so that's what I'll likely do.

The .260 is an excellent cartridge. I think a Tikka chambered for .260 will treat you well.

A short barrel friendly powder like RL-17 should produce an accurate load, with the high bc 140 class bullets, around 2750 or so. Going a notch slower to something like Norma MRP should get you close to 2800 with compressed loads. RL-23 might be worth a try, too.

The combo may not look impressive on paper, but it is an efficient package that works better than its paper ballistics would suggest.

I went a slightly different route, but yes, I have had it done. I had a Mod 700 short action, and bought a $90 Adams & Bennett .260 short chambered barrel from Midway. I bought it with the intention of having it reamed to the 6.5/284 (this was back in the late '90s, only WW 284 brass was available.) I then had an opportunity to hunt some exotics in Texas so had him finish the 260 chamber and cold blue the barrel. I worked up a handload with Rem 260 brass and the 129gr Hornady SP. I ended up shooting a really nice axis buck and a mouflon ram. Both took two shots, that 129 Hornady was barely opening up, too hard at that velocity. Upon return, my smith set it up in 6.5/284 and since I was limited to the 2.80", I chose only the Nosler 125/120s. My COL was set at 2.79" and in that 24" barrel, with that WW brass I got way, way over 3100fps with both bullets. It killed like lightening on antelope here in Utah, and fallow, blackbuck in Texas. I actually liked the 120BT better than the 125PT, I would use the 125PT on elk though. My only issue was getting that case to feed well, the last round in the magazine wanted to hang up. In your 22.5" barreled Tikka it would be a bit better velocity wise, but it would be a gamble. I have not had one, but the 260 AI will run right with the 6.5/284 in the 120-130gr weights, which is really all one needs, period. If it were "my rifle project" I would have to try the 260AI. I think it will feed better, and get enough more out of that 22.5" barrel to be worth it. Now sure, you could hunt the West with a regular 260, but...you would always wonder...:) Have a ball. BTW, my SIL uses a SS Tikka3 Lite in 7mm Rem mag for his elk sometime, it is a very accurate little rifle, easy to shoot, surprising since it is so light. He bought it used from a guy for $300, so that is an option if you are just buying a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.