6.5/284Norma qusetions

Mulga

Hi Guys. I have been reading the threads on the 6.5/284 and there is alot of great info there. However Action length seems to be a sticking point with this cartridge.

What would be the ideal factory reciever be to take advantage of the compactness of the cartridge and the use of long 140g projectiles. Particularly as I prefer a repeating action.

I want to be able to use 95g Vmaxes for varmiting and 140g SMK's for target work.

What is the maximum OAL for the 6.5/284 Norma?

If I had to deaply seat the 140g SMK's to enable the use of a SA repeater what kind of tradeoff in preformance would that have?

If I cant use a Short action reciever why use the 6.5/284? The 6.5/06 would be cheaper to run with similar performance!

I am currently concidering actions:

Rem 700
Sako M591
Sako L691
Sako Other
Weatherby Mk V

Is there a barrel twist which will work well with a large variation in projectile weight 95-140g?

Would rebarreling a Weatherby MkV SVM to 6.5/284 work? I think the action may be long enough, what about the magazine spacer?

How easy is it to acurise a Weatherby MkV action?

Thanks in advance guys

Mulga
smile.gif

Well I own a 6mm-284 and I can tell you right now if you build one on a short action you are going to hate it. You will not be able to seat the bullets out far enough to get close to the lands. You could go with the 6.5/06 but I think the Accuracy of the wild cats using a 284 case speak for themselfs. My 6mm-284 is a very accurate and the 6.5-284's are also. I would go with any long action you like I have mine built on a 700 Rem action and love it.

I wondered about the 6.5/06 as well and talked myself out of it. The 6.5/284 has dominated the 1000 yard competitions for more than a decade. There are a lot of calibers that have won those matches, but the 6.5/284 really stands out as a performer. I figure that if another well known wildcat such as the 6.5/06 had the same potential then we would see it listed in the top ten for those shoots as well.

For a lot of reasons, a case that is fairly fat in proportion to its length tends to produce more accurate loads than long skinny cases. There is a relationship between bullet diameter, case diameter, case volume, bullet weight, etc., that I haven't completely figured out yet - and obviously I'm not alone since new cartridges are being introduced all the time. Of course some of those are just marketing……. The 6.5/284 seems to have the right relationships in all of these dimensions based on how it performs.

From what I've read, the 6.5 bullet doesn't seem to suffer from being "over stabilized". Folks that shoot it tell me that a 1 in 8 twist works for all bullet weights. I'll find out one of these days.

If a long action is a problem, then consider the .260 Rem. This is nothing more than a 6.5/08. This round is also accurate - Tubb won the national championships with one. I am probably going to put one of these on my short-actioned Savage later this year. My Sierra manual list loads for this one in bullet weights from 85 to 160 grains. This might wind up to be a better compromise. The rebated case on the 6.5/284 creates a few bolt face and extractor issues, and you might have to fight magazine feed problems with the fatter case.

Don't overlook the seasoned old 6.5x55 which works very well in an intermediate length (ie mauser) action.

My own 6.5x55 is standard CIP twist for up to 160gr bullets. The most accurate bullet is a 100gr ballistic tip seated a calibre length into the case and about a quarter of an inch from the lands. This load has repeatedly shot .25moa out to 200yds and is probably a true 0.5moa out of a sporter.

Hey guys
Just got a 6.5-284 a few weeks ago. 700 action 26" Hart 8-twist (sendero profile)set in a Mcmillan sako varmint style stock. Been trying a few combos powder primers bullets.
Great results with H4831sc 140 A-Max and 210m primers.Took it out early sunday (no wind) only this time seated on lands and it shot .7 at 200 yards very happy. Is this common for A-Max to like the lands? How do these bellets perform on game? Any other info would also be greatly appreciated. Pet loads powder bullet combos? (also good results with 120 NBT's and H-4350)

Rimfire.........
Give a try to Ramshot's "Magnum" powder. It gives great velocity relative to pressure and produces standart deviations of 7 in my 6.5-284. Tried Berger's 140 VLD Monday at 300 yards and shot a .358 inch group with the bullet jammed into the lands pretty hard. Good Luck, great caliber.

DBS
tried the 140 A-Max jammed into lands, shrunk to .3 for 5 shots at 200. anyone know how they work on deer?

Hello all.
Im new here, so this is my first post.
I have shot some benchrest here in Western Canada, and the prevailing wisdom here is to seat your bullet into the lands. My .308 is into the lands .025", and I routinely place in the local competitions here. (Most folks just dont like a .30 cal thumper though....does buck the wind well with all that weight (.155 / .168 gr) I have won 300 meter prone matches with this rifle (Rem 700, Norma Brass, IMR 4895 powder - nothing truely special)...IMO, ALL groups tighten up when you remove the random nature of any sort of 'bullet jump'.
I enjoy the forum...keep it up all.
-D.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.