rechamber 7mm weatherby to 7mm STW

labrador

Hey Guys

I have had difficulties deciding between the two calibers 7mm weatherby magnum and 7mm STW. I have finally decided for a weatherby accumark in 7mm weatherby magnum. In case I one fine day would like to have it converted into a 7mm STW, would it then take more than a reamer? I was wondering whether the freebore of the accumark would require a special treatment in order to get the job done...

Thanks - Labrador

A factory Mark V in 7mm Wby will have a short mag box. I think there is a way to lengthen it, but I'm not sure...Maybe someone else can chime in. For 7mm STW, a Rem 700 with a Wyatts 4.000" mag box would be more ideal and least headache. Just my opinion.

Also, I have two 7mm STW's (both 700's, one custom, one factory Sendero SF), and have been shooting the cartridge since 2002. It's a phenomenal cartridge.

Thanks for the responses so far. I had a 7 STW in a Rem 700 that was super accurate, but had to sell. I'm going to be building another this coming year. I really really love the mark V action, so if I can stick with that it would be ideal.

Would a 300 wby require magazine modification?

Thanks for the responses so far. I had a 7 STW in a Rem 700 that was super accurate, but had to sell. I'm going to be building another this coming year. I really really love the mark V action, so if I can stick with that it would be ideal.

Would a 300 wby require magazine modification?
I think the .300 Wby has the longer mag box, so that might be a better option. I would wait till a weatherby guru chimes in to be 100% sure on that.

Bump. I'm going to get a mark V rebarreled ot 7 stw and I'm current looking for a host. Better deals are to be had on 270s than 300s, but I know the smaller chamberings will require more work. What would it take to make a 300 work?

Bump. I'm going to get a mark V rebarreled ot 7 stw and I'm current looking for a host. Better deals are to be had on 270s than 300s, but I know the smaller chamberings will require more work. What would it take to make a 300 work?
For a 300 or 340 roy it would take a barrel and possibly a bit of stock inletting. My buddie's Accumark 300 roy will already go to 3.7" oal so you'll probably reach or get close enough to the lands without a Wyatt's box with a standard reamer. The Manson reamer used on my rifle in 7stw usually requires no more than 3.8" to the lands. I run 3.65" to 3.75" on a stock remmy box good for 3.670".
If you want to do one from a 7roy or the like (standard action length stuff) remember the action is the same length, there is a false wall at the front of the mag well to accommodate the shorter follower for the standard length chamberings. You will likely need to rework the mag well and find a longer follower.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.