Recently got a .264 sendero. Why isn't 264 more popular??

tctt3

The gun is a tack hammer. I haven't gotten it anywhere to shoot over 100yds, but its on top of itself. So, why isn't this caliber more popular? Flat shooting magnum that not punishing, and everything I've read is positive. So, what gives?

I assume you are talking about the .264 WinMag... If you are, the reason it lost a lot of head-way is because of another popular caliber that was derived simply from opening up the neck of the .264 WinMag to accept a .284 caliber bullet. It was also introduced in 1962 by Remington, along side it's new rifle (the Model 700), as their flagship rifle/caliber combo....

I am referring to, of course, the 7mm Remington Magnum. It utilizes the same exact case as the .264 WinMag, but with higher BC bullets and more energy, it gained instant popularity.

The .264 WinMag is a phenomenal caliber in its own right. But the popularity for the 7mm RemMag overtook the spotlight.

Mud is pretty close to right on.

The 6.5's just never took off in this country the way the have in the rest of the world for medium and even large game.

The other factor that came into play was that when the .264wm was introduced it quickly earned a reputation as a "barrel burner" and in those days most people would never own more than one center fire rifle and expected the one they bought to last not only throughout their lifetime but the lifetime of their kids and grand kids as well.

Add that to it competing head to head with the 7mm Rem and our nature as country for "cannonitis" and it never had much of a chance.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the caliber though. It's a 400yds laser beam and with modern high bc hunting bullets there's nothing in N. Am you can't take with it with confidence out to at least 700yds.

the sendero is a great rifle . the .264 mag is a great round. the biggest typical mule deer ever taken was with a .264.

Another reason the 264 never caught on was the powder choices available at the time weren't optimum for the overbore case capacity. Today there are a lot more suitable powders available.

Another reason the 264 never caught on was the powder choices available at the time weren't optimum for the overbore case capacity. Today there are a lot more suitable powders available.

Bullet technology, and availability as well.

I've read the 7mm explanation before, but not enough benefit over the 270 is at least as big a reason.

A lot of long range capability, absent good rangefinders etc. was lost on most.

The way 6.5 caliber rifles are catching on today I would not be at all surprised to see more and more people trying the .264. One problem now is ammo selection. There is a big assortment of high quality factory ammo available for other 6.5 options like the Creedmoor, 260 and 6.5 x 284 but not so much for the .264. I think that will change in the near future as more and more people opt to try out a 6.5 Sump'n. At my shop we sell a ton of 6.5 caliber rifles and anytime a customer asks me about a new caliber to try out I recomend something in a 6.5 caliber.

Thanks guys! Since this one shot so well, I decided to pick up 2 more from an estate sell yesterday. A win super grade and a ruger hawkeye. Couldn't pass them up! Im really impressed with how much energy it still carries at distance, without the punishment from sitting on a bench working up .300wm loads! Im sold on it, and I really appreciate the education!

I think it's just belt-o-phobia.

The world is moving away from belted designs. I'll get pelted for slagging belted but "that's the way it is". :rolleyes:

I think it's just belt-o-phobia.

The world is moving away from belted designs. I'll get pelted for slagging belted but "that's the way it is". :rolleyes:

Since the belt is a non issue I guess I will not participate in the phobia, been using 300WM for years & recently also 264 WM, for experienced reloaders not a problem.

Since the belt is a non issue I guess I will not participate in the phobia, been using 300WM for years & recently also 264 WM, for experienced reloaders not a problem.
Some writer years ago in an attempt to promote the short magnums made up a bunch of BS as to the negatives of belted magnums. Unfortunately it caught on.

I have a good friend that's a gunsmith whom I asked about it who pointed out to me how much easier and more accurate it was to headspace off of the belt rather than a point three inches deep into the chamber.

If there's a flaw at all with belted cases it's the fact they can separate/crack at the belt after too many loadings with hot loads. Of course I see that as a good thing since I can easily see it and discard cases that are beyond their useful lifespan.

Well said guys. Belt-o-phobia is based on negative propaganda, not real life.

There are as y'all have said only two minor real issues neither of which has anything to do with accuracy. Both have an easy fix, don't abuse your brass,

1 belted cases fail at the belt body junction when the brass is abused but it can and does happen on non-belted designs.
2 swelling just above the belt preventing chambering. Fixed with another $100 tool or by not abusing you brass.

I love my Why designs but other than that use non-belted.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.