Recent grizzly attacks on Montana elk hunters

Thats true, but i think any bear guide would rather have you make a good shot with a 30-06 using a premium bullet than a poor shot or miss with a 300 rum

He's probably going to tell you to stay home!

I agree something is way better than nothing, look at the stats on guys killing a grizz with a 9mm BUT were past the if your running into a bear stage one in a million deal, I'm talking planning on running into bears, every time I've ran into one I upgrade fire power, they don't scare me but they certainly create a high level of respect!!!

I've been thinking about what the best sidearm would be for those who live in black/grizzly country. 460 Rowland with 255 hard cast or 44 mag 300 gr wfn hard cast?

what are your thoughts and opinions?

...460 Rowland with 255 hard cast or 44 mag 300 gr ...

Comes down to personal capability. The biggest gun is useless if you can't hit anything with it.

Ballistics only - .44 with 300gr hard cast to 1100 fps, Super Redhawk or Blackhawk weight revolver.

My personal preference would be to carry a rifle big enough to deal with what could eat me while I'm hunting for game animals.

I currently carry a Glock 20 10mm in black bear territory but was thinking about a 460rowland build. I did have a Taurus tracker 44mag but have since traded it and I'm thinking about getting another one or just going to the 460 Rowland

How about a good shot with a 300RUM, or is that another gun YOU can't shoot?

Lol you internet tough guys. I never said anything about the level of rifle recoil i could handle. I was replying to the guy using the same analogy he was using.

My original post was in regard to people suggesting 454 casull or more powerful handguns as back up guns. I just dont think thats realistic for a guy who doesnt shoot the gun a lot. I stand by that. Handguns of that power level are not for the casual handgunner. All the power in the world wont help you if you dont put the bullet where it needs to be.

Also live with these bears- they regularly tracked up around the house and barn area. What do I do? Nothing really and they do create damaged from time to time 2 have been shot by either neighbors recently.
Both keep hogs and chickens. Chickens and barley, chicken scratch and chicken layer. They love good dog food , and will get on the porch to clean it up.
I just keep a 12 gauge handy at all time.
A sidearm is also a good noise maker, but using it in on hungry bear with just make a mad bear madder.

Also live with these bears- they regularly tracked up around the house and barn area. What do I do? Nothing really and they do create damaged from time to time 2 have been shot by either neighbors recently.
Both keep hogs and chickens. Chickens and barley, chicken scratch and chicken layer. They love good dog food , and will get on the porch to clean it up.
I just keep a 12 gauge handy at all time.
A sidearm is also a good noise maker, but using it in on hungry bear with just make a mad bear madder.

sounds like you need a good 475 linebaugh or 500 jrh shooting hardcast solids or even a 44magnum with a 320wfn hardcast. That bear will at least have major indigestion to get 2-3 more shots off.

I saw my first griz while on horseback elk hunting in BC. About 40 yards away walking through timber. Guide was 50 yards ahead and I about **** my pants. Then went on black bear hunt in AK. a couple years prior my guide shot a griz at point blank with a 454 Casull, right after it mauled his dad (whom barely survived). I saw video of the aftermath and it'll haunt me forever anytime I see a bear.

Looking at the power class of a 10mm on average your going to have to run three rounds into a bear to equal one 454 Casual in energy, it's not going to have the penetration capability either.
There is a guy on the hunting channel that has killed a few cape buffalo with a 10mm using hard cast 210 grain bullets. One shot kills . The bullets have all gone through the buffs and most are under the skin on the far side. A hard cast 40 cal bullet doesnt have a penetation issue . The guides on the buff hunts all said the pistol round surprised them and said they have seen large caliber buff rifle loads that didnt drop a buff any quicker . I think the cape buffalo is close to, if not the most difficult animal to get good penetration on.
I dont live anywhere close to grizz country, so all my input is purely based on what ive read or seen on hunting shows. If i ever do go to grizz country , i will do so with a glock 10mm loaded with 15 hard cast handloads. A double mag pouch with 30 more rounds will be on my belt too . Controlled , deep penetrating loads avaliable in large quanities that can be put on target at high speed will always increase your odds on a fatal brain shot imho.

Last edited:
I saw my first griz while on horseback elk hunting in BC. About 40 yards away walking through timber. Guide was 50 yards ahead and I about **** my pants. Then went on black bear hunt in AK. a couple years prior my guide shot a griz at point blank with a 454 Casull, right after it mauled his dad (whom barely survived). I saw video of the aftermath and it'll haunt me forever anytime I see a bear.

how did the 454 casull perform on the charging grizz? Was it an instant stop or did he keep coming?

I live in NWMT, probably near where Bign green black bear hunts.I spent considerable time in the wilderness areas near buy.Saw 13 grizz in one day.Last spring I saw 9 without getting out of my jeep spring bear hunting,and I hardly went much,those wher within 6-20 miles from town. I called F&G because I saw a sow w/2 cubs near town and a hippie bus had been camped there for weeks,with dog tied up,food and coolers out,reciepe for trouble.When I was younger most bears run away from fear.I had a grizz tag year it got closed in MT.The bears now dont fear man for most part.Ive also had encounter with problem bears,that I found out later,where moved there.Hazed with rubber bullets etc.Been false charged many time,many friend same with bear and cats.Ask the F&G, they have bears collared that move to certain areas on opening of rifle,GET IT.I n one drainage I hunted,the grizz did that,one elk that I shot across canyon,was finally close and run into big dark leg grizz at 40 yrds.I had no bullet in because had been in alders over my head.I jacked one in and yelled at him,he stood up looked at me then left.I saw that bear feeding on carcass the week before 7 miles down drainage. They are expanding everwhere here,like on ranches by Great Falls.22 G bears killed last year in MT, in human conflict,etc.When I was young I never packed archery,now I always do, 4'' 629,300grn. had friends bow hunt Kodiak,they packed sawed off shotguns in a back quiver.Then there was the time I was at the grizzly fight... that will raise hair on back of your neck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts