Montana elk

silvercreekguide

I know the draw is already over but I am moving to Montana soon so just wondering.

What does a resident have to do to get a tag?

Some with a non resident?

Also for other animals, ie bear, deer, antelope, wolves.

I have read ont their web page but still confused!

Thanks a Bunch

Mike

I know the draw is already over but I am moving to Montana soon so just wondering.

What does a resident have to do to get a tag?

Some with a non resident?

Also for other animals, ie bear, deer, antelope, wolves.

I have read ont their web page but still confused!

Thanks a Bunch

Mike

for $17.00 you get your over the counter resident general ELK tage (after you prove you have been a resident for min. 6 months so you better hurry to hunt this years season) this tag is good for any areas that are NOT special draw, the drawing the just posted results were for those special areas. so this is drastically cheaper than non resident I believe thos tags have cleared the $900.00 mark. as for the deer and antelope similar deal. bear, wolves, and even mountain lion all are over the counter tags just have to be purchased a couple days before they are valid (this helps eliminate the people that try to get the game before the tag). hope this helps!

make sure if your a resident and in the billings area that you meet the residency requirements. Nick the "willy" will ask.

You do have to draw for antelope, drawing deadline was June 1. Bear, deer, wolf, and elk general licenses can all be bought over the counter.

$17 resident,$ 900+ nonresident. Someone should require those in charge to say that out loud so they can see what it sounds like.

Non-resident Elk tags are not $900+!
The "COMBO" for a Deer AND Elk tag is $910.
The non-resident Elk tag alone is $809.

The reason the Elk tag is still so high without the Deer is because Montana FWP requires non-residents to purchase a conservation, state lands use, fishing, and upland game bird license in order to acquire the Elk license. Not sure why they do that exactly, but I'm sure it has something to do with catching so many non-residents illegally fishing and shooting game birds while over here hunting big game. As a lifetime born and raised Montanan I know that we have more trouble with non-residents than anything else when it comes to illegal activity with fishing and hunting.

Due to the drastic non-resident price increase a few years ago, Montana has consistently failed to meet the non-res tag quota in the drawing that is due by March 15th. So the non-res Elk and Deer tags are available for purchase over the counter until the quota is met.

I think the Deer and Elk combo license used to be about $540-$600, can't remember exactly. Not sure why they increased it so much. Probably because we don't really want outsiders coming over and shooting our game that we worked so hard to preserve ;) But that's just my take on it. Probably has more to do with money.

And FYI, a 2013 Montana resident Elk license is $20, not $17. People should know the regulations and understand them completely before answering.

A quick call to any regional Montana FWP headquarters will answer any other question you might have.

Here's a link to our FWP web page that details the non-resident Elk license prices. Take care :)

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Nonresident Deer & Elk Combination Licenses

PS: PLEASE COME OVER AND SHOOT ALL THE WOLVES YOU CAN FIND!!! I WELCOME NON-RESIDENT WOLF HUNTERS WITH ALL MY HEART :) LOL!!!!!

You do have to draw for antelope, drawing deadline was June 1. Bear, deer, wolf, and elk general licenses can all be bought over the counter.

+1, unless it's OTC/surplus doe/fawn antelope.

Mike,

Advance welcome greetings to the Big Sky Country! :)

I hope it's not a deal breaker for you because the initial price quote was not a exact dollar amount. :cool:

Ed

Another thing to think about is you will have to pay the non-resident prices this year because you have to be a resident in Montana for at least 6 months before you can buy a residents license/tag. 6 months puts you a little after our hunting season is over.

Hope this helps.

Another thing to think about is you will have to pay the non-resident prices this year because you have to be a resident in Montana for at least 6 months before you can buy a residents license/tag. 6 months puts you a little after our hunting season is over.

Hope this helps.

Yep, unless you're in the Armed Forces and meet the requirements in page 109 of the reg, then it's only 30 days.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.