Rebarreling .257Wby Mark V

I was looking at some of the barrel manufacturers and notice that some of their contours differ. What contour or diameter barrel can I fit in my stock. I would like to go a little larger than the No. 2 weatherby contour I currently have which I believe is .600". How large can I go without compromising the stock integrity?

I was looking at some of the barrel manufacturers and notice that some of their contours differ. What contour or diameter barrel can I fit in my stock. I would like to go a little larger than the No. 2 weatherby contour I currently have which I believe is .600". How large can I go without compromising the stock integrity?

You can fit anything you like, but your smith might have to open up the barrel channel to make it fit properly.

Just make sure the barrel's diameter isn't wider than the forend of the stock. I have a B&C Medalist on a Rem 700 custom I built, it has a 26" Remington varmint contour barrel on it. The Smith had to open it up, and he was worried about it fitting at first, but it ended up fitting very nicely in there, and would make a nice heavy-barreled packable rifle. Weighs about 10 lbs with a lightweight scope and lightweight DNZ 1-piece mount.

Thanks for the input, I am looking at putting a .700 or .750 diameter (Krieger #5 Bull Sporter or #6 Heavy Bull Sporter). Haven't decided what I'm going with 100% yet still shopping.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.