Rear hunting bag

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by hbnac, Jun 6, 2009.

1. hbnac

hbnac Member

What are some good options for a rear hunting bag? It needs to be light weight and portable for alaska trip this fall, with my new edge.

thanks

2. gebhardt02

gebhardt02 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend contacting Stu at RedTac gear. If you want something smaller than his standard rear bag, he might be able to make a smaller version for you. Call him and ask.

3. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

I have a small nylon bag with ears that I filled with air soft pellets, the bag came with a hook and I just snap it on a belt loop and take it anywhere.

4. cavtrooper94

cavtrooper94 Well-Known Member

Take a old sock ( the Army Green sock works great) fill it with dry minute rice, sand, or airsoft pellets, and tie it off with a tight square knot. This is what the boys workin for uncle sam use. Its cheap and works fine. Sit it under your stock and hold it with your non firing hand. Slightly squeeze to raise your buttstock, wiggle it to settle it down.

5. guns_and_labs

guns_and_labs Well-Known Member

Holland makes a great little bag, multi-sided to fit any need, very light.

6. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Search "milk bottle fill" =very lightweight fine grade styrofoam balls -it's cheap and if it goes flat after some usage -pour in a little more!
    I'm going to sew one up that is big enough to use as a pillow/rear bag -to be used for backcountry backpacking...-Mike

7. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

I use a piece of close cell foam, 8x12 inches shaped like a wedge of cheese, 4" to 1", covered with a filter material. works great and weighs maybe 2 oz. its in the pic
    [​IMG]
    RR

8. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

I have a canvas shot bag filled with Tiny styrofoam balls (about the size of a bb). I got the styrofoam from a fabric store . It is very light and works perfect.

9. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

This gets discussed regularly and their should be some old posts, if you can find them. I used something that I always have with me anyway--a bivvy sac rolled up tightly. Works great and because I pack it anyway, my 'rear bag' doesn't take up any more space or weigh down my pack anymore. Good luck on your hunt! Report back.