Rear hunting bag

hbnac

What are some good options for a rear hunting bag? It needs to be light weight and portable for alaska trip this fall, with my new edge.

thanks

I'd recommend contacting Stu at RedTac gear. If you want something smaller than his standard rear bag, he might be able to make a smaller version for you. Call him and ask.

I have a small nylon bag with ears that I filled with air soft pellets, the bag came with a hook and I just snap it on a belt loop and take it anywhere.

Take a old sock ( the Army Green sock works great) fill it with dry minute rice, sand, or airsoft pellets, and tie it off with a tight square knot. This is what the boys workin for uncle sam use. Its cheap and works fine. Sit it under your stock and hold it with your non firing hand. Slightly squeeze to raise your buttstock, wiggle it to settle it down.

Search "milk bottle fill" =very lightweight fine grade styrofoam balls -it's cheap and if it goes flat after some usage -pour in a little more!
I'm going to sew one up that is big enough to use as a pillow/rear bag -to be used for backcountry backpacking...-Mike

I use a piece of close cell foam, 8x12 inches shaped like a wedge of cheese, 4" to 1", covered with a filter material. works great and weighs maybe 2 oz. its in the pic
100_0279.jpg

RR

I have a canvas shot bag filled with Tiny styrofoam balls (about the size of a bb). I got the styrofoam from a fabric store . It is very light and works perfect.

This gets discussed regularly and their should be some old posts, if you can find them. I used something that I always have with me anyway--a bivvy sac rolled up tightly. Works great and because I pack it anyway, my 'rear bag' doesn't take up any more space or weigh down my pack anymore. Good luck on your hunt! Report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.