reamer rentals

lazylabs

Has anyone tried the reamer rental places? I am really just building for myself any maybe one other of the same caliber. I am getting a really expensive stack of once used reamers maybe renting makes more sense? Experiences?

Reamers are very cheep compaired to the cost of a custom rifle,and
not knowing how many times or how much abuse they have on them
I wont use them.

But if you know the smith and he /she keeps track of how many time's
they have been used you may be all right .

You may want to rent yours out if you can trust the person to take care
of them.

Or sell them.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

I was looking at elk ridge or 4D rentals.... I am not sure if they track number of uses or if condition is hit or miss. I know the reamers are not that expensive in the overall scheme but I have probably 10 so over a kilo buck that isn't going to get used. I also hate to sell them, take the loss and then need it again........hummmm

I have been afraid to rent a reamer because I don't know if or how the rental place keeps track of tolerances and sharpness.

There are only a couple of guys that I would borrow a reamer from, and they know that I will lend mine to them. Only a couple, though.

My opinion, Tom

Last edited:
I've rented from Fred at 4-D several times.

The reamers are always pristine, I've thought more than once that they were new(and likely were).

I noticed on the 4D site they didn't mention if they were piloted reamers or solid.... If piloted I wonder if they would send you multiple pilot sizes? Was there any problem when you returned them? I worry that even if you take good care of the reamer they will find a way to ding you on the deposit. Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I've heard a few stories... Who knows? Anyway, I sent you a P.M. Let me know.......................Bug.

I checked the co-op thing out. It may be a little scary for me. I am not super interested in the available list. I guess I will probably just keep eating the cost and saving that portion of the stress. I have a couple friends that are doing the stuff for a living so I will give them my reamers for help or wierd stuff that is beyond my capabilities to build. Thanks for the responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.