Realizing the max in accuracy and trajectory from a 22-250

I like my 7.7 twist .22-.250(s - more than one) and shoot mostly 75 ELDM bullets at just under 3,300 fps. Comes close to many 6mm's shooting 95 & heavier bullets at 3,000 fps plus for trajectory & wind but with powder charges in mid 30 grain range & bullets cost less than $30 per hundred.

Go to:

And see just how effective the little .22-.250 can be with the 75 ELDM. Effective up to 1,000. Actual shooting has verified the Hornady 4DOF calculator - run it and see how other loads compare.

I have a single shot Mauser, a FN & have used it since 1969 - lots of years but it is a .300 Win Mag.

With regard to the "old school standards still being produced" the best we can figure from people in Idaho who are aware of Vickery's work was this rifle was probably produced in the mid 1960's. No fast twist barrels existed then, nor the bullets to be used in them, nor any scope leveling bubbles, bipods, precise third lever, single stage triggers, much fewer reloading materials, scopes lacked the magnification and quality we can obtain today,. Yet this rifle, converted to single shot, with its double set triggers and the large Bausch and Lomb scope had to be the leading edge of technology for that time. It will be refreshing to see just what kind of accuracy this heavy old varmint weapon may be capable of.

You need to get away from the old mind set on powders and move on up to the modern powders. 1-14 has some limitations. Probably in 52 and 55 grain. The best powders are StaBALL 6.5, CFE 223, and ramshot big game.

You can download modern high performance powder and still exceed the old IMR 4... powders and have less copper fouling.

I've shot 62 grain hpbt varminting with my 26 inch slow twist. Superformance and down loaded to 3600 for ease of using ballistic charts

With a 1-14" twist it's hard to find a 22-250 that won't shoot h380 and a 52 target bullet or a 55 flat base. Another powder I like in 22-250 is cfe 223 for 55s and under.
Sounds like you have a sweet rig. Good luck let us know results.