Realizing the max in accuracy and trajectory from a 22-250

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I have traded for a unique varmint rifle. A single shot commercial Mauser with German doubleset triggers, with a heavy barrel, freshly rechambered in 22-250 with a SAAMI neck and a BALvar 6x24 scope atop it which has been remounted so the scope external adjustments are now less than 1/4". The stock in inlaid Myrtle with excellent checkering.
The throat was badly worn, and the Sierra Ballistician estimated that the weapon had previously been fired 1,500-2,000 times at about 3,500 fps.
I have a lot of BR and high quality .22 bullets and it should prove interesting seeing what this weapon built in the 1960's will be able to accomplish.
With all the slightly different ogives from the 52-55 grain bullets I have, what has worked best with you for your 22-250's? Its stupid to reload this weapon to 222 Remington ballistics, for accuracy, or go the other way and toss brass after just three reloadings., trying to reach 4,000+ fps.
I'd like to find a very good load for this rifle and then reload all my brass for that load. In the past, when dealing with this caliber, I found some other cartridges were at their very best when loaded " to the gills" so to speak in terms of accuracy and trajectory. To this point I have not found that to be true for the 22-250. What has been your experience with this cartridge?

If it's worn, stick with FB bullets, or switch to 50/55g ballistic tips.
I run 2 barrels, standard 22-250 1:14" twist at 26" and a 22-250AI 1:7" twist at 28". Neither are worn, but the AI version is my short course F-class barrel where I run 77g CC bullets at just over 3100fps.

Cheers.

My badly worn 1-14" 22-250 wouldn't shoot 50-55 gr NBT after awhile. 50 gr vmax's keyholed and even the 40 gr vmax's didn't group all that well. The last bullet that shot well was Berger 55 gr Match Target flat base bullets. I nailed a chuck at around 583 yards with that load and rifle before converting it to 260 AI.

It's hard to go wrong with the 50-55 grain Sierras, Noslers, or Hornadys. The Bergers will shoot too. I've always tried to get the 55's going between 3650 and 3700 from my 22-250s. The 55s @ 3700 will carry more "pop" past 400 yards than the lighter bullets. Varget, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, WW760, H414 have worked well for me.
YMMV

Last edited:
Hello,
I have traded for a unique varmint rifle. A single shot commercial Mauser with German doubleset triggers, with a heavy barrel, freshly rechambered in 22-250 with a SAAMI neck and a BALvar 6x24 scope atop it which has been remounted so the scope external adjustments are now less than 1/4". The stock in inlaid Myrtle with excellent checkering.
The throat was badly worn, and the Sierra Ballistician estimated that the weapon had previously been fired 1,500-2,000 times at about 3,500 fps.
I have a lot of BR and high quality .22 bullets and it should prove interesting seeing what this weapon built in the 1960's will be able to accomplish.
With all the slightly different ogives from the 52-55 grain bullets I have, what has worked best with you for your 22-250's? Its stupid to reload this weapon to 222 Remington ballistics, for accuracy, or go the other way and toss brass after just three reloadings., trying to reach 4,000+ fps.
I'd like to find a very good load for this rifle and then reload all my brass for that load. In the past, when dealing with this caliber, I found some other cartridges were at their very best when loaded " to the gills" so to speak in terms of accuracy and trajectory. To this point I have not found that to be true for the 22-250. What has been your experience with this cartridge?
what is bbl twist rate ?

My tikka t3 varmint is nuts with 39 grains of imr 4320, federal 210 primer, ppu brass, 40 grain v max lazering along at 4130fps, when I first started loading for the rifle, no heavy bullets would group well but with this load I'm quarter moa at 200 yards. I figure speed would balance out the lack of bc