Realistic expectations

TBuckus

Here is my first full attempt at reloading for my stock Model 70 in 270 Win. 22" barrel.

Load is Berger Classic Hunters, 130 gr. with H4350 WLR primers. 2935fps from my chrono.
I didn't follow Bergers recommendation completely on distance from the lands. Since it is a hunting rifle, I started at .030 off the lands and shortened from there.

The pic shows my final loads shot at 200 yds. Lower group is with scope zero set at 100 yds. The upper is with scope adjusted to 200 yds. Only had 2 rounds left and the rain and wind started to pick up on that one.

According to JBM calcs, the drop should have been 3.1". I got 3.5".
Velocity was 110fps slower than published data, but my barrel is 4" shorter than what is posted.

I'm thinking that with this stock gun, I don't believe that I can do any better as far as working up a load. I'm happy with this, but always wonder how far to go.

Attachments

• Berger group.jpg
    Berger group.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 72
Assuming those are one inch squares, you're shooting .5 MOA so I would agree that it's pretty darn good for an off the shelf rifle. Were these shot from a rest, bipod, off a bench, prone, or off hand.

I would load some more up and test at 300 yards. Its not bad but I really don't like vertical stringing like that but it could have been you. So load some more up and see how it does.

These were shot off a bench at the gun club.
I'll load some more up and try it out at 300. They don't have anything longer than 200yds, so I'll need to search elsewhere.

Is this a Remington Model 70 or a Winchester Model 70?
The two 200 yard prints on target are vertical but it's only two shots and from what I see on the other 3 rounds I suspect the vertical was the shooter, not the load. Especially in view of the prevailing climite issues you describe.
Shooting "from the bench" (sand bags? butt bag?) ......
Reason I ask is that butt bag drag can have some serious influence on where the bullet prints on target; as can a lot of other factors like shoulder hold, etc. to be sure.
I avoid shooting off of sand bags unless there's nothing else available to steady the shot. I prefer a good rest (e.g. my Caldwell Rock BR) or a good bipod at prone.
By all means, see how it performs at longer ranges but don't work too hard at splitting hairs at 200 yards with your .270. It's a hunting rifle, not a competition rifle and that 200 yard group - as long as you put it properly on target - will bring home the meat. gun)

Looks like you're doing pretty good. If you want to push further my suggestion would be to try a different bullet like the Speer Grand Slam or Sierra Game King.

I'm as guilty of this as anyone. Don't underestimate the influence of the rest and shooting technique for tightening groups. Do everything exactly the same every time you pull the trigger. Same placement of the stock on the rest, same breathing rhythm, same grip, same cheek weld, same everything. And never drink caffeine before going to the range. Vertical stringing is kind of tough to eliminate, my experience has been vertical stringing is a shooter problem more than a gun or component problem. Others may have a different view but this has been my experience with every rifle I own.

Is this a Remington Model 70 or a Winchester Model 70?
The two 200 yard prints on target are vertical but it's only two shots and from what I see on the other 3 rounds I suspect the vertical was the shooter, not the load. Especially in view of the prevailing climite issues you describe.
Shooting "from the bench" (sand bags? butt bag?) ......
Reason I ask is that butt bag drag can have some serious influence on where the bullet prints on target; as can a lot of other factors like shoulder hold, etc. to be sure.
I avoid shooting off of sand bags unless there's nothing else available to steady the shot. I prefer a good rest (e.g. my Caldwell Rock BR) or a good bipod at prone.
By all means, see how it performs at longer ranges but don't work too hard at splitting hairs at 200 yards with your .270. It's a hunting rifle, not a competition rifle and that 200 yard group - as long as you put it properly on target - will bring home the meat. gun)

FearNoWind is correct. It all depends on how far you plan on shooting or taking game with this rifle. The further out you go, the more hairs you have to split in the reloading process to make it accurate out at the longer ranges and the more you have to ratchet down your shooting form.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts