Realistic 30-30 AI Velocities....

41mag

Well I have shot some factory 30-30 loads through my Contender and have been happy with the 1" groups it has shown so far. I am aware of pressure issues with bolt action rifle, but the only load I have really ever worked up for the Contender was in the 7x30 Waters, and after the fact have backed it down considerably.

In running the factory stuff across the chronograph, they are running around 2000fps if memory serves. I haven't run but a few of them across it mainly due to the weather we have been having. I have also decided that the general range for this set up will be around 150 yds or so as a max, mainly due to the bullets I am wanting to use and the hogs tough hide. I have a decent supply of the old Nosler 150gr Solid base, or BT bullets, which I was wanting to use but have also looked hard at the 130gr TSX as well, just hard to justify the added expense when I have plenty of the Noslers sitting around on the shelf. I figure that if I can get the SB loads to shoot well I can easily switch over to a BT for deer, or even the hogs as with the velocity being down, overexpansion shouldn't be an issue.

In a verly limited test a couple days ago, I ran some across in formed cases which were in the 2100fps range which were listed ion a couple of manuals for the standard 30-30 and 150gr bullets. My load was using H-4895 which I also had on hand and figured to try and use it up as well. I did use some AA 2015 to fireform some cases with as well using 130gr bullets I had left over from working with the grandsons .308 loads. These were running close to the same velocities and formed the cases very well.

I know that the Contender frame isn't set up for the upper end pressures like the Encore, but was wandering if some of you have loaded the Ackley version of the 30-30 in one and if so, around what level did you go with your velocities as a top end load?

Mike...I got as high as 2500fps with 130gr Hornady Spire Points using RL-10X from a 14" 30-30AI (factory tube rechambered by SSK). The most accurate load was at 2411fps. I never did load any 150gr pills...the 130's worked GREAT on deer so I did not feel the need to experiment.

Thanks Dan, I found some data on another site which should help me out on the 150's. Main reasons for using them are an abundance of the 150's and the general intended use of shooting feral hogs. I just didn't want to hit one with a 130 and it bury up under their hide instead of going on through. Been there done that with the 7x30.

I figured that the 150gr Solid Bases should make a decent hole, most of if not all the way through one in the 150 - 250 pound range, out to around 100yds or so. Anything bigger and I will use a different rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.