Real advantage to custom

Here's where this thread could go drift an infinite number of directions!

Lovin' it....proof is in the puddin':)

A smith with the knack! Which is most probably the magic touch one has for a certain set of conditions. The Master's Touch, many have it, on different instruments.

Keep in mind the shooter has to have a different "knack" to do honor to the smith's craftsmanship.:)

Check this from the above post: "600 yard 20 shot group fired in a pre-'64 Win 70 action using brand new .308 Win. cases with powder charges having 3/10ths grain spread and bullet runout of 3/1000ths. It's about 2.7 inches in diameter for all 20 shots."

The pic and these few words sum up the compulsive tendencies of many. $1000 dollar, 0.0005 grain accurate scales, and on and on.

Regarding my "custom" rigs, its just put the load together that the smith uses for accuracy verification, sight in, develop drop chart and start harvesting. That's the value of "Custom", if the smith has the "knack".

The problem is that shooting them is so euphoric I tend to wear them out.:D

Great thread!!!!! Even better once you two bone heads (said respectfully) get to communicating. Won't be too long until you're sharing a beer.:)

+1

You realy know how to brighten my day Roy !!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

Hey!, maybe you guys should get together for a shoot-off, of sorts. I see Boss Hoss is in Texas, where you at Bart? Need to find a common range with 1000yd. so one's traveling much further than the other. Just a thought.

Hey!, maybe you guys should get together for a shoot-off, of sorts. I see Boss Hoss is in Texas, where you at Bart? Need to find a common range with 1000yd. so one's traveling much further than the other. Just a thought.

Sounds like a plan to me! I go as far as the NRA Center in Raton. Great range that will allow for 1K shooting… Great idea and it will be fun---give the Board something to watch.

Well as we wait for Bart maybe someone could start a poll and find out if anyone would go to watch and who they think would win. That would help establishing the side bet odds don't you know. I am leaving tomorrow at 4am for the ranch in NM and will not be back until Sunday so I will not be around a computer (where I will be there is not even a gas station for 28 miles lol and it is an hour to Carlsbad to the hotel) but will check back Sunday to see if the esteemed Bart has weighed in on this most excellent suggestion….

I'd love to attend if possible.

Of course, I have to back a fellow Texan.

But, I can guarantee you the Model 70 will turn in a very respectable score.

-- richard

I'm surprised noboby's posted what some of the 1000-yard benchrest group aggregates are in size. Forget the single 5- or 10-shot group records as they're too infrequent and are not as meaningful as three 5-shot group aggs. Better yet, compare the six 5-shot group average to whay my picture of the 1000 yard tests with two 15-shot groups of about 6 inches each. Same thing for my references to 600 yard agg's.

Note that aggregates are better for comparison. But if all groups in an aggregate were aligned correctly with each other, the all-shots composite would be larger than the aggregate. Agg's are the average of 2 or more groups; at least one group is bigger than the average. Add about 25% to the aggregate record for group size and that'll be very close to what a composite of all shots fired are.

There's another picture of a 600 yard 10-shot group fired from a Win. 70. In a late 1971 issue of the American Rifleman. It's for Lapua bullets and its one of several fired that day all under 1.5 inches. It's about 3/4ths inch center to center of widest shots.

I think readers can compare the benchrest aggregates to my examples of accuracy from Win. 70 based rifles and judge for themselves. You're smart enough to do this without any help.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.