A real dumb question? HELP!

kc

My Remington .308 is dead on at 100 (under 1 inch) its a VLS with a heavy barrel when the barrel is cold it is dead on and when I shoot to 200 yards with a cold barrel my bullet goes left around 1 inch? the scope is not canted and we spun (the scope) it every way rt left and its back to dead on at 100, it just started this, the scope is good and the loads are right to the grain.
there is no screwing around here, we are thinking there is a burr or the crown need to be recut.
Guy I need some advice.

wow, where to start?
sure scope is aligned?
crown?
parallax?
head position on stock?
how is it at 300 yds.?
good scope?
etc,etc.

If it's "under an inch" at 100, it really isn't "dead on", so it could easily go to 1 inch at 200, especailly with just a light breeze as the previous post stated.

the scope is not canted and we spun (the scope) it every way rt left and its back to dead on at 100.

What exactly do you mean by" we spun the scope"? There could be many factors here. Like stated above slight wind, crosshairs not level( which is my guess). Are you shooting from a rest?Bipod? Some more info would help.

I just assumed he meant that he rotated the windage adjustment left and right before rezeroing at 100 yards. What else could it possibly mean?

Topgun I assumed he meant that also. What I was getting at was the following.
Take a taller target, put a level verticle on the target. Draw a straight line up and down that is plum. Now near the bottom of the target draw one horizontal that is level. Now line your cross hairs up exactly with the lines on the target. Zero at 100 yds where the 2 lines intersect. Now turn your elevation knob up 20 or 40 clicks at a time and fire a shot. Keep your cross hairs over the lines on the target and Do this a couple of times. The bullets should stay on the verticle line and move up in 5" or 10" increments depending on your clicks. When all done return scope number of clicks down that you originally went up. Scope should fall back to your 100yd zero. If your bullets are veering off to the left rotate the scope in the bases to the left or right if veering off to the right. This is assuming the rifle isnt being canted to start with. This will assure the crosshairs are perfectly level.

Most of the time I swage it.. I will stop thinking I know more than every one and will do it the way cahunter805 advised..
Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.