Re-Barrel 25.06

I currently have a savage 112 FVLSS with the factory fluted 0.82" 26" varmint barrel. If I were to switch barrels and keep the same cartridge I would probably drop to a 0.75" straight taper 26" barrel. My savage is insanely accurate with the 115 berger and retumbo at 3200fps, but I do find it a bit heavy in the woods. As far as twist goes, that all depends on usage and bullet choice. I think for long range hunting, larger diameter and heavier bullets would be better.
Long story short, I have creedmoors, 264WM, 6.5-284 etc but just love my 25-06 for shooting targets.

I would do a Sendero contour Proof and crown at 26 inches.

The 257 Weatherby is faster, but barrel life is a huge consideration. I ran my 25-06 first generation Remington Sendero hard, and it was awesome. Shot my first 1/4 inch 5 shot group with that rifle.

Personally I would run a 26" #6 straight taper, 1:7" twist, R-5 rifled or Ratchet rifled, heavy fluted, I would run a Surgeon R-5 receiver, repeater, with a tactical bolt handle, IA magazine and bottom metal/trigger guard, Chet Brown sporter stock W/O cheek piece, Shilen or CMC trigger, nightforce 5.5X20 X56MM scope with MOA reticle, Badger Ord. rail, 20MOA offset, Badger Ord rings, prone bipod, and cera-koted for the terrain I was hunting in. maybe that is a bit too much information.

Personally, unless the rifle is set up like a Sendero, a light magnum barrel contour is perfect for a 8.5-9lb hunting rifle.
Rugers' magnum barrel contour is about perfect, plenty stiff enough and the heft balances very well in many light composite stocks.

Cheers.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I will probably go with the Sendero Contour and 26". I'm liking Bartlein Barrels, and I'm a sucker for Fluting. I haven't had anyone convince me that I shouldn't't use a 1:7.5 Twist Rate, so I'll probably go that way.

Thanks again,
Perry

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I will probably go with the Sendero Contour and 26". I'm liking Bartlein Barrels, and I'm a sucker for Fluting. I haven't had anyone convince me that I shouldn't't use a 1:7.5 Twist Rate, so I'll probably go that way.

Thanks again,
Perry
I have a 25-06 Sendero with a 26" Fluted factory Rem barrel. I also just swapped the barrel on my X-Bolt .308 from OEM, to a #4 Bartelin. If I replaced the Sendero barrel tomorrow, it would be with a 26" Bartelin in a fluted #4 or Sendero contour and have a 1:7.5 twist!!! Please keep us posted with results of you project and loads when you get into the 130gr projectiles!!! Good luck...

Patience, patience! Which season are you building this rifle for? Take your own sweet time and think about it. What do I think about while I'm climbing into the sunlight on some frozen canyon wall? The next rifle build (for my wife, of course!) as likely as not.

My Savage 25-06 shoots great, but this thread has me wanting a fast twist 26" barrel. I don't reload, but if heavy factory ammo becomes a reality I may have to do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.