stay 25.06 or go 243??

D*N*R*

Im sold on 25.06 however i started looking around for ammo and its harder to find than i thought. So looking at 243 and it would do for a 300yrd shot. I have a 270 win. (love it) since our field is 800 by800 yrds(northern lower mich.) would i wish i stuck with 25 06?(it would be for my kid if he lets go of the 270)

Only real difference is that the 25-06 would get you out a little farther with a heavier bullet. Doing the ballistics on it, the 25-06 would get you out to about 500 yards and safely take a deer. With the .243, using a smaller bullet, you will be able to safely take a deer at 300 to 400 yards at max. This is just my opinion while putting the numbers through hornady's ballistic calculator.

My choice would be the 25-06. Recoil is not bad at all and gives you a little further reach. So why not go with the 06? It can even double as a good varmint gun too. Ammunition is out there and can be ordered online.

Haha..or just buy him his own .270 :)

Stay with the 25-06, especially for northern MI where they can get into some thick stuff after the shot. We have plenty of ammo down here in sw MI, but I load my own. You might want to go that route for all your ammo the way the price on factory stuff is getting. It will take you a while to recoup the initial cost, but you can look for used stuff to cut the costs.

Last edited:
Stick with 25-06 or buy another 270 or even a 30-06. I noticed that our Wal-Mart has more 7mm Mag ammo than 270, 30-06, 243, 308, 300 WM or any other large caliber. I was pretty surprised at that.

I would pick a caliber and then buy a few boxes or even a case online, if you cannot find it locally and depending on how much you are going to shoot. Or start reloading for it. You can purchase whatever ammo you are looking for online, the only draw back is that you have to plan ahead a little.

Also depends on how young your son is. 30-06 might have a bit too much of a punch for him on recoil, depending on what weight bullet you use. If it were me and my son were 16 or older and you and if your son ever plan on hunting deer and larger game than deer, I would just get another 270. If you are just gonna do deer and varmints, I would just stick with the trusty old 25-06. A 25-06 can take down elk but a 270 can just plain do it better and at longer range.

I think that I will be a 25-06 fan until I die. Cant say enough good things about it.

My vote goes to the 25-06... for deer. if you want a coyote rifle then the 6mm's are the way to go!

Say what? The 25-06 is as good or better for deer and yotes than any 6mm or .243!!!

6mm and 243 With a 7.5 twist barrel will put a 25-06 to shame for coyotes. With the 105 amax, 107 smk or 115 VLD/Dtac, a 25-06 looses ! Ask me how I know ;-)

the higher BC bullets trump the 25 cal...

On your original question, the 7mm-08 is an incredible option too. Greater selection of bullets, Higher BC than the 25-06 and little recoil. My 12 year old shoots one for deer, antelope and elk. Incredible round !

Tell that to all the yotes I've shot with my Ruger heavy barrel 25-06 over the years, LOL! BC is great, but the yote doesn't know what hit him out at considerable distances when I squeeze the trigger and with heavier grain Hornady BTSPs neither do the antelope or mulies! Great town Buffalo and the gateway to the BigHorns! I envy where you live, as every time I go through to the other side where I hunt I wish it was my home too! PS: I'm talking about caliber versatility for the two animals and I'll guarantee I'll kill a deer easily with no fret at a lot further distances than any .243---JMHO.

Last edited:
Having 2 25-06s and 4 243s = The barrel is the wildcard. One 243 only likes 55grain Noslers and one of the 25-06s really likes the 115 grain BT....Guess which one I use for deer/goats :D A 25-06 might throw a bullet a little faster but in the real world the accuracy loads will be too close to matter.

I'm not going to argue that the .243 isn't a great little killer and in certain circumstances I've used my Sako tackdriver to shoot a deer or two and even a hog right between the eyes at 80 yards. I just prefer to go up the ladder with a little heavier bullet for deer and antelope, just like I move up to a Sako and Model 70 in 30-06 when I go for elk. Sure, the smaller calibers will do the job with the right bullet and a well-placed shot, but I'm of the old school to move up the ladder as the game gets bigger and I don't think anyone would fault me for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.