Rate of Twist Test

trebark

How to you test the rate of twist? I've read posts here where people have bought guns and didn't know the rate of twist and then I've read posts where someone rebarreled a gun and asked for a specific rate of twist and that was not what they received.

One of my rifles is currently on it's way to the 'smith to be rebarreled. When I get it back, I'd like to test to verify the rate of twist. How do you do it?

How to you test the rate of twist? I've read posts here where people have bought guns and didn't know the rate of twist and then I've read posts where someone rebarreled a gun and asked for a specific rate of twist and that was not what they received.

One of my rifles is currently on it's way to the 'smith to be rebarreled. When I get it back, I'd like to test to verify the rate of twist. How do you do it?

Easy - With a tight fitting patch (or brush) push a cleaning rod several inches into the bore. Mark the rod at the muzzle and put a small dot on the top of the rod (facing the ceiling). Push the rod slowly into the bore while watching the tiny dot rotate around 360 deg and back on top again to the same position it started. Mark the rod at the muzzle again. Withdraw the rod and measure the distance between the two marks that you made at the muzzle. This measure is will represent 1 turn in XX inches.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.