7mm-Twist-rate???????????????????????

wildcat

Hey-guys-I-am-confused.-I-am-having-a-7mm-built-and-I-am-currenly-going-with-a-1-10-twist-barrel.-I-will-be-using-bullets-from-120-to-162grn-range;-and-I-will-mostly-be-using-the-140grn-Ballistic-Tip-becuase-of-it's-high-BC-(.485)-and-for-the-type-of-shooting-I-will-be-doing-(Varmint-hunting-at-ranges-from-300-to-1000-yards).-I-don't-think-I-will-be-using-the-higher-BC-bullets-that-much.-I-might-use-the-162grn-A-Max-at-times;-however-the-140grn-Ballistic-Tip-will-be-my-choice.-I've-been-told-that-the-1-10-twist-will-be-perfect-for-the-140's-and-will-also-work-well-for-the-162's.-I-looked-at-Bergers-168grn-VLD-and-Berger-recommends-a-1-10-twist-for-that-bullet.-So-I-am-confused;-I-know-if-I-am-going-to-be-shooting-bullets-from-170-to-200grns-then-I-think-the-1-9-twist-would-be-a-better-choice;-but-I-will-be-using-the-140grn-type-bullets.-I-would-like-to-hear-what-you-guys-think.-I-know-most-of-you-that-have-been-shooting-the-7mm's-have-been-using-either-1-9.5-to-1-9-twist-barrels;however-you-have-also-been-shooting-the-larger-VLD-bullets.-I've-also-been-told-that-the-7mm-WSM-is-better-when-shooting-the-lighter-7MM-bullets-from-120-to-160grns.-I-want-to-hear-your-recommendations.

Go with the 1-9 and save yourself the brain pain , the slightly faster twist will not do anything negitive for your accuracy or speed with the 140's and if you ever decide that the 160 class bullets are more better for ya then you know that the twsit won't be marginal.
The 1-10 will most likly shoot the 168 bergers well but then it might not same with the 162 A-max.

Whay take the chance that the barrel "might" stabilize the bullet when the faster twist "will" stabilize the bullet and have no negitive effects on the lighter ones?

what made you think you would want a 1-10 anyway

I've got a Hart 10" twist on my 7STW. I originally built the rifle with the intention of limiting bullet weight to 140-150gr, max. Later I decided to try some heavier (higher BC) bullets. The 10" twist shoots 160gr Accubonds and 162gr A-Max bullets very accurately. I took an antelope @ 465yds with the A-max and was very pleased with its performance from the 10" twist barrel. Terminal performance was good too.

I think that you'll be very happy with a 10" twist UNLESS you get the yearning to try the 180gr VLD's or similar heavy-weights.

Just my 2 cents

Wildcat-7mm-Twist-rate???????????????????????
no-space-key-and-now-your-????-is-stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
????????CAM??????????

PS J/K

Cam;-your-so-cool!!!-I-am-working-on-getting-a-new-key-board.-If-you-don't-have-anything-nice-to-say;-please-stay-off-of-my-posts.

Thanks

Wildcat, go with a 9.5 twist. You will be fine with the 168's down to the 140's. The 120's would need a twist slower than 10 anyway so you may haver a problem with those anyway.

+1- <i would use a 9,5 or a 9.-depending on the cartridge its going to be.speed also plays a role here.Fast magnum type: 9,5; slower: 9

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.